The Morals to My Story | Teen Ink

The Morals to My Story

It had finally hit 3:30pm.  My teacher, Ms. Kahl, had lead my second grade class out to the busses.  As I stepped outside, I felt the cool air nip at my cheeks as I walked.  I scanned the bus for an empty seat, and sat down.  I shifted over to the inside of the seat and stared out the window, hoping to be alone.  I felt someone sit down next to me.  Before I could turn my head to see who it was, my face was smashed into the frozen bus window.  Bright, red blood gushed from my nose.  I turned around with tear streaked eyes and saw him.

Thomas was one of the new boys in my second grade class.  He used to ride my bus and sit with me every day.  With each day being worse than the last.  He used to tell me that I couldn’t tell anyone or else he would hurt me more, so I kept the secret for years, even after he had stopped.  Thomas had bullied me for about a year.  Not emotionally, but physically.  For a year, I had lied to my friends, my family, and my teachers.  I used many different excuses to cover up what really happened.  I had said things like I had tripped and fallen, was clumsy, or was bumped into by someone older than me.  For a while those were good excuses for the visible bruises on my arms or the bottom of my legs.  I had tried my best to hide the bigger bruises on my chest, stomach, and thighs.  Eventually, it had gotten so bad that I was afraid to change or bathe in front of my parents.  My whole body had hurt.  I remember flinching when someone would touch me, or if I had moved my body to quick.  To make my pain even worse, every bus ride had been more blows to my body, creating bruises on top of other bruises.  During the worst of the beatings, I couldn’t figure out what I had done to him to deserve that pain.  After all, we were both just second grade kids riding the bus together.

Over the following school years my relationship with Thomas had changed.  Thomas and I had been becoming friends and with each year we grew closer.  During our 7th to 9th grade years, we had been best friends.  Thomas had been there for me and I was there for him.  Some people may think that having your second grade bully become your best friend is out of the ordinary, but he had changed a lot.  Seeing Thomas change the way he did, made me believe that other people can change too.  Which have brought me to my views now.

Years later, I still remember many details about that time.  My second grade year was very tough, and has had some negative impacts on my life.  I have become someone that is very scared of little things.  For example, I flinch at things that come close to me, like a hand or a flying object.  I am scared very easily by touch, or noises, which are only small impacts that are very common amongst people whether or not they had been bullied.
There were not only negative impacts on my life, but positive ones too.  That have taught me a few things.  I have learned to never raise a hand at someone for any reason.  Violence is never the answer, and to treat people with love and kindness.  Also, to never judge someone based on their past or present.  These are some lessons that I apply to my life on a daily basis. I hope that many others would use a few of my lessons in their life too.