Thump-Thump | Teen Ink

Thump-Thump

There I was laying in the nurse’s office bed thinking to myself whatever this is, it’s going to kill me.  It was the worst pain I had felt in all my years of living, and I thought there was no way I’d make it until tomorrow. Then moments later, my dad arrived at the school to pick me up to go home because I felt miserable.

I walked hunch backed out to the car because it caused me to much pain to stand up straight.  I reclined the seat in the car so I was more comfortable on the ride to my house.  My dad and I later arrived at the house and all I wanted to do was lay on the hard wood floor, curled up in a ball.  I laid on the floor for the next 5 hours and I never ate supper because it didn’t sound good, nor did it look good at the time. I was now going up stairs to bed and as I slowly walked up the stairs with my mom close behind me, she said softly “Maybe you pulled some muscles when you were moving the wheelbarrow full of dirt.”

In pain I responded, “I highly doubt it because it hurts way too much just to be pulled muscles.”

Again she softly responded “Pulled muscles usually hurt really bad. Anyway we will see how you feel tomorrow morning.”

I quickly responded “Okay, Goodnight. Love you.”

I went into my room and laid in a curled up ball under my covers because that was what was most comfortable for me.  The thoughts of what this could be were just rolling through my head, and I had a darn good idea that I wasn’t going to get any sleep tonight. I laid there awake, and I feel like I got a max of four hours of sleep the next morning. I slowly walk down the stairs to the living room in a lot more pain then I was in yesterday. The first thing I did was wrap up like a burrito in a blanket. I laid in a curled up ball in the chair.  I told my mom “There is no way in this world I’m going to make it into school.”

She replied, “That is fine but you will have to go to school tomorrow.”

As I lay curled up in a ball on the floor, I watch some television. I was in so much pain that day that all I did was lay on the cold, hard floor wrapped up like a burrito in my blanket.  After my long and boring day laying at home on the floor my mother came home and demanded me to eat something, or I would end up getting sick.  I ended up eating 2 slices of peanut butter toast.  I felt as if I was going to throw up, and I felt miserable. 

It was now time for bed and I had to make my way slowly up the stairs to my bed.  This night was going to be another sleepless night and it was going to suck.  I woke up the next morning and I had felt like I got no sleep. I was forced to eat some breakfast and as soon as I finished my cereal, I threw it right back up.   I proceeded to tell my mom, “I need to stay home and go to the doctor. “It isn’t getting any better.”

She said “Fine, I will call the hospital when I get to work and schedule an appointment.”

I had a doctor’s appointment at two in the afternoon that day.  I was home alone most of the day, so all I did was lay on my floor because it was the most comfortable.  My mom came home and we left almost immediately.  We arrived at the hospital. We had a short wait before they called us back.  Once they called me back and I did all the talking with the doctor, he had made the assumption that I needed an appendectomy.  An appendectomy is where you get your appendix removed out of your body.  The doctor said, “Your surgery will be around 5:30 and should only take about an hour.

As I laid down in the bed with them drugging me up with anesthesia, I started to get loopy and say really weird and random things.  I told my brother that I wanted to eat turtle brains, and that a popsicle sounded amazing and that I really wanted one. They started pushing me away from my family at about 5:25 and took me away to some other room.  When I got to that room they started asking me some questions about me, and before I knew it I was out.

It was now 6:45 and I was just slowly waking up from my surgery.  I woke up in a very unknown place to me, and I was very confused.  They told me “You need food, what would you like to eat before you upstairs.”
“I’ll take some peanut butter toast, with a popsicle;” I replied.

They took me upstairs by elevator to my room, because I had to stay one night in the hospital.  I didn’t want to stay at the hospital alone so I asked my mom if she would stay with me.

My mom replied, “Sure I guess.”

My mom and I sat up and talked and watched some T.V., and I then slowly started to fall asleep.  I got to sleep and what felt like no more than twenty minutes, they came into my room and checked in on me. They made sure that I didn’t need anything. They came in again not to long after the first time, and had to give me some medication to try and get some of the CO2 out of my body. 

I had got a very minimal amount of sleep that night.  It was now the next morning and we ate breakfast. Shortly after my mom and I had breakfast, my surgeon came into my room and talked to my mom about a lot of things. I just laid there and was super anxious to get out of that hospital, because I hate the hospital so much.  After they talked for about forty-five minutes I was able to go home.  We walked out of the hospital and I was still in a little pain from my surgery, so I wasn’t able to walk as fast as I usually do.

I got home from the hospital and all I did was lay on the couch. I laid on the couch all day long. One time during the day I was in so much pain that I had to take this super strong drug that would help ease the pain. I couldn’t take this pill more than once every twenty-four hours.  It was a really strong drug.

I was able to go back to school on Monday, but had a few restrictions. I had to take some sort of medication three times a day, and I was not able to lift more than a gallon of milk for the next two weeks. After those two weeks, I had to go back to the hospital to have a checkup.  After my checkup I was cleared and able to do what I wanted. I just had to be careful with the spots where they opened me up because I very likely to sunburn there.
It has now been over a year and I can gladly say I am back to normal and able to do what I used to do. I am grateful for this because I was told by my doctor that if I would have waited at least two more days I would be dead. It was lodged in my pelvic bone and if it were to burst, there is no way they could get that out and it would have killed me.  I will say it was an interesting experience, but I do not want to have to go back through any kind of surgery again in my entire life. I am also very happy that I am still alive today, and that my mom got me into the hospital before it got any worse.

I was inspired to write this becasue i thought i was interesting part of my life and not everyone goes through this.