Red Clay | Teen Ink

Red Clay

By 17anthonyvilaca BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
17anthonyvilaca BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts

Those who look for the laws of Nature as a support for their new works collaborate with the creator.

“The sun was strong it made me feel like I was getting heat stroke.  That’s all I remember, .” Jim said to our mom. After Jim didn’t say anything else, my mom asked me. ”How about you Raymond?” I got scared unlike Jim I remember everything even with the dumb sun.
It all started with Jim tricking me to wake up early on a Sunday. Jim said it was a Monday I foolishly believed him. I got ready and got to his car. I mean I totally fell for the big brother prank cliche. Since he turned sixteen he started to bring me to school. “Jim why did we turn left?” I asked him.
“Because we are going to Martha's Vineyard Ray.” He said that with his smug look he knows I hate. I became mad more so because I know he didn’t tell Mom so I would have to tell her everything that happened, because he would say I don’t remember because of a dumb reason.
We got to the boat and we were waiting in line so I saw my opportunity to ask him why we are going to Martha's Vineyard. “Why are we going to  Martha’s Vineyard it’s not like we have any money to buy anything.” I said sarcastically.
“I was dared to get some clay from my friend. I thought you could be some company.” Jim said with his smug face still intact. I was puzzled why risk getting in trouble for some clay.
We were in the boat Jim was sleeping but I stayed awake. I was thinking how me Ray Stray thought it was a monday. That bugged me the whole boat ride. I knew we were there when I heard the weird muffling voice. I woke up Jim it took a while though. He got all excited and started rubbing his hands together. We were the last line out which made Jim mad but he soon forgot.
“So which town are we going to?” I asked but I knew the answer. “Menemsha Dummy, where else?” Jim said in a really sarcastic voice. I didn’t answer I knew coming along, or more like being kidnapped, would be my fault some how. We were almost there but I looked at the gas and I told Jim it was low, but he didn’t listen. Like always, I was right and the gas went out. Jim luckily was able to park. “So let's get a taxi and get some gas and come back.” I said knowing that he wouldn’t do the logical thing.”No we are close to the clay I bet we can just walk there.” Jim said with outer determination on his face. I sighed but I walked with him,it’s not like I would be alone in a place I sort of knew.
As mentioned before this is when the dumb sun came into play. I mean summer just started and this was the last week of school but it shouldn’t have been that hot. Yea the clay wasn’t close at all it felt like hundreds of miles. “ Come on, Ray! Can’t you handle some sun?” He said this panting. I started laughing and he joined alonge. That was the best part of the hundred mile walk which I just decided to call it.
“So let's get the clay and go back.” Jim suggested. I turned red from anger and he took that as a sign to get food. We got some chicken wings and two Shirley Temples and also 10 cups of water. Then we just sat there waiting for the waiter which was like a hour. Then we left for the beach but it took awhile because of the dumb sun basically mauling us with a stampede of heat. I took off my shoes because Jim did and I wish I didn’t it felt like the sand was cooking my feet for diner,but I soon forgot about that.
We were walking down to find the the cliffs.”I think there aren't any cliffs here.” Jim said with sadness. Wrong he was, I saw red. The most beautiful thing I will ever see. The cliffs were the colors of the sun but the red is what caught my eye. It took me five minutes to see that Jim was looking at me with his smug face. “So are you getting the clay or not.” I said. Jim got out a test tube with a cork in it.
“Why don't you do it.” Jim proposed  with his smug face finally going away. I got close and filled the tube with only red. Then we left but I will never forget the red clay.
Then we went to a gas station and got some gas. Then we went through the hundred mile walk again. This is when I think Jim lost his memories of this whole adventure because this was somehow worse than the first time. We finally got there and Jim filled up the car with gas and bolted in the car and turned on the a.c. “ let me see the clay.” JIm asked covering the whole a.c. with his gross sweating body. I show him it and he smiled of course smugly.
“Keep it until we get back.” JIm said with a little too much pride.
This is when it went all south. I mean really south, like almost to Antarctica south. Well I saw some clouds and became scared because I heard their was a hurricane  down south. “ That looks really bad JIm.” I said with concern. “ What looks bad.” JIm said with otter stupidity.”That!” I yelled. “Oooooo shoot.” Jim should have had a light bulb light up above his head.  This is when he started driving fast which was a big mistake pretty much the biggest one that day. Well you know where i'm going with this. I heard the siren and I got scared that we wouldn’t get home today.
We were pulled over by this cop that well let's say he had to many donuts. He took forever to get to the car and when he did got Jim's and went back to the car and took forever again. He finally came back and said we were free to go. When he drove off it started to rain i’m not lying it's like the universe hated us. The boat were cancelled so instead of calling our mom we went bowling, Jim’s idea.
We were neck and neck in the 8th round. This took my mind off of things for a while. Then Jim won by five points and made a big deal about it. Of course I was fine about it even though he initially caught when it was my last go. We finished our sodas and left. The rain didn’t stop but it got worse which totally helped our situation.  Jim started laughing because in his words.”You look like a frustrated tomato.”
“Where are we going to go now or are we going to stand in the rain.” I said with roaring anger. Jim shrugged and headed to the car. I followed even though my safest bet would to stay put. JIm used the last of his money to get a room for us. Luckily we got round way tickets. It was eleven o’clock when I went to sleep,it would have been sooner but the thunder and the idea of my mom figuring out that we aren't home kept  me up. Mom called Jim five time but he didn’t answer because he didn’t want to deal with it.
I woke up, it was only drizzling. “Ready for some free breakfast.” Jim said with his stomach rumbling. “ Yea sure.” I said but still really tired. Then I looked over at the red clay and I thought why did I like it so much. “ Let me get ready then we go “ I said. I knew that Jim would leave as soon as i entered that bathroom though. In fact he did. I was all ready and went to the breakfast place. “You took forever ray what were to you doing.” Jim just started eating so I didn’t take that long like he said.
We ate like slobs but that’s how we are. We left and went to the room. The cleaning ladies came to the room and cleaned up but this was the bad part the climax you could call it. Well i’ll be upfront with you the clay was gone. Yep it was stolen. It was replaced by a note though.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------Dear Residents

The clay on this island are only for Wampanoag people so you can’t take it.

From  Cleaning Lady.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------It didn’t say cleaning lady but a actual name,but I forgot I mean I can’t remember everything. Well this made Jim furious and he started to flip. This lasted ten minutes and it died down. “Let's go.” Jim said still a little mad. “Where?” I said a little frightened I won’t lie.”Home” he said defeated. We started up the car and went to the boat.
We missed the boat so we were there for another hour. Jim wasn’t saying anything. This proceeded to be the most awkward moment this whole trip. “So what's going to happen when we get off the boat.” I just wanted to break the awkward silence. “We get in trouble and just live in our rooms like a prison.” Jim said still bummed out.
The boat finally arrived but Jim didn’t do the boat joke like before. We went to the snake place but we totally forgot that we didn’t have any money. So we just sat there.”hm I need to think of an excuse of not remembering.” Jim said really thinking hard. I started laughing thinking it was a joke. We got of the boat and drove home. I took us ten minutes to walk through the door though. Jim sighed but he opened the door.
So we walked in and saw my Mom just sitting on the dinner table. She ran toward us and huge just and just started screaming with joy. The joy turned to anger like it didn’t take one minute. Jimothy where have you been!“The sun was strong it made me feel like I was getting heat stroke.  That’s all I remember.” Jim said to our mom. After Jim didn’t say anything else my mom asked me. ”How about you Raymond.” Now we are back to where and now that I coming back to reality I have to give my answer.”Ummmm sorry I don’t remember, i’m sure that everyone who was outside got some form of heat stroke, mine and Jim's was memory loss.”
This made my mom even more furious. That didn’t matter, at that point I was doing the worst impression of Jim’s smug face. Then we were sent to our rooms and like I said probably for eternity. I lade down on my bed looking at the clock. I probably won’t see Jim for months but that's fine. If I did he would most likely figure out that I was the cleaning lady and stole the red clay. So imagine me lying on my bed looking that the red clay with my smug face still in tacked.

I live in Martha's Vinyard and hard to live here. It's can be fun but as soon as winter time comes in it become a nomans land.