Why Are Obesity Rates Increasing | Teen Ink

Why Are Obesity Rates Increasing

By Raymond1432 BRONZE, Aurora , Colorado
Raymond1432 BRONZE, Aurora , Colorado

Throughout the past 50 years are obesity rates have been increasing tremendously; we are now even seeing obesity in one year old. Although there are many reasons obesity rates are increasing the ones that I am going to talk about are fats, salt, and sugar, advertisement on kids, and disease.   

Did you know that your body loves fats, salt, and sugar? As you probably no by know junk food is unhealthy and hurts your body; then why are we still eating it? In the movie Food Inc it talks about how our brains are hardwired two 3 different taste fats, salt, and sugar. Now that food industries no that they have been able to incorporate those 3 taste into their food which makes these food have a addicting taste that makes people want to come back for more. You can also see evidence of this in an article called Grocery stores sell foods with high values of Fats, Salt, Sugar. In this article they have a bunch of people document what the get from the grocery store for four years.Through those four years the bought 1.2 million foods and 62.5 percent had fats, salts, and sugars. This is a injustice because food industries no it is addicting so they put it in there food so it makes it extremely hard for people to stop eating these foods just like stopping smoking. Although unlike smoking kids can have these addicting foods that hurt their body and know one knows that it is addicting them.

We are seeing obesity rates shoot up everywhere, including in children. According to the Federal Trade Commision, junk food makers spend over a billion dollars a year advertising on kids. “food makers spend some $1.6 billion annually to reach children through the traditional media as well the Internet, in-store advertising, and sweepstakes”. If most adults don’t know how harmful this food is for their body and their getting addicted to it, how can kids know not eat this food when it looks good. In the movie food inc you can see this taking place. In the movie it say 1 of 3 people born after the year 2000 will become obese, it also shows a bunch of kids who all they eat are theis foods and don’t want to stop. This is an injustice because most kids don’t know what is healthy and what is not, all they know is what taste good, and what they want.

What if I were to tell you that the food you were going eat next could kill you, would you eat it? Last year on december forth the food safety news came out with a cdc update about a E.coli outbreak with 52 people sick from chipotle food. ( Friday, Dec. 4, on the E. coli outbreak associated with Chipotle Mexican Grill. The agency reported that, as of Dec. 2, 52 people from nine states have been sickened).In my opinion If you want some food you shouldn’t need to worry  if it’s going to kill you or a even get you sick with a disease. You can also find evidence hurting us in the million hearts association. The Million hearts acciosaction averaged that their are about 1.5 million heart attacks a year, and about 800000 of them result in death. In the Food Inc a women came on and talked about how here kid got E.coli and in 12 days he died. Do you really want to be that person who died by a big mac? This is an injustice because you don’t know your food is going to hurt you but you should never need to worry about it.

Through the last 50 years are obesity rates have been Increasing. Even though the these foods are good they are making you unhealthy and taking your money. Do you support smoking, if not why? Is it because it hurts you or it hurts the environment? Do you eat junk food? Junk food hurts your body just as much as smoking it is just less noticeable, and junk food hurts the environment more. Junk food owning significantly more factories than Cigarettes.