Why Pesticides Shouldn't Be Allowed | Teen Ink

Why Pesticides Shouldn't Be Allowed

By acd22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
acd22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Pesticides are continually being argued about them being good or bad, and both   sides make very good points on why they are good or bad.  Like when the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) got into court with people who said pesticides were to be nullified, and were fighting over pesticides and should they be allowed.  One reason people say they are good is because they produce more crops to the people, but others say that they infect the crops poisoning humans.  Pesticides could be argued for ages and still people would not be able to decide because of how many pros and cons there are.  That is why people are still debating on which is right.

Some of the main reasons that pesticides should not be allowed is that they kill many bugs that help fruits and vegetables grow like bees.  They also malform creatures, and the results could affect humans.  The last main reason is that they infect the plants poisoning humans in the process.  But some of the reasons that they are good is that they give farmers more crops to sell and make more crops so that humans can continue eating.  Farmers make more money to keep making the crops.  Finally they kill unwanted pests that kill crops to get more food.  These things are all debatable and people could go on either side depending on how powerful the evidence was. 

Pesticides are bad and should not be allowed to be used under any circumstance.They malform creatures, kill bees which help the fruits and vegetables grow, finally they infect the plants and make it poisonous to eat.  Here is the proof.

The first reason on why plants should not be be allowed to be used under any circumstance is that they kill bees and butterflies which help the plants grow.  This is a problem, because if this continues to happen plants will not be able to be nurtured enough to be good plants.  If they die it would be terrible because the success of our food supply depends on the bees staying alive.  What is worse about this is that bees are dying in hot and cold climates.  One quote is from Tamar Haspel who busts a theory on why bees are dying.  “The researchers focused on imidacloprid because it is used on corn and the author claim traces of pesticide are found in corn syrup.  If this were to continue eventually humans would starve and would be on the verge of extinction. 

Another reason on why pesticides should not be allowed under any circumstances is that they malform other creatures, and what they do could happen to humans.  In the article Better living through chemistry...or not it talks about how rats genitals are being malformed and so are the baby rats.  This is a problem because if this continues to happen other animals will die or maybe humans will contract these malformations and will eventually people could not reproduce ad the population of the Earth will slowly deplete until there is nothing left and Earth will be another lonely planet. 

Another example is when the EPA was accepting the pesticides even though they knew the results and what would happen.  If pesticides were ever to be mass produced the world would eventually die and infect all animals and humans across the world.

The final reason on why pesticides should not be allowed under any circumstance is that they poison the plants that they touch even if it is not intentional.  When the plants are consumed by humans they could get either very sick or die from the poisons in the plants.  One article states that pesticides have seven of the most toxic chemicals known to man inside of them.  Another article states that pesticides were also infecting flowers that bees get nectar out of and poisoning then killing them.  This is a  problem because if the crops are being poisoned and bee’s flowers are getting poisoned.  At this point the food supply will be gone before we know it. 
But on the other hand, pesticides still are helpful.  Not all pesticides are bad just most of them are.  The good ones though don’t kill bees, they don’t malform creatures and most of all don’t poison humans.  From the article Cancer funds are chasing the red herring of pesticides, Bruce Ames said “We consume more carcinogens in one cup of coffee than we get from pesticide residue on all fruits and vegetables we eat in a year.” This just proves that some pesticides can be good.  Another researcher said that pesticides also help the environment by getting rid of unwanted pests that could kill a lot of plants. 

Pesticides shouldn’t be aloud to be used under any circumstances

If pesticides were continually used it would kill the Earth by tainting the plants, killing the helpful insects and malformations would continue and could malform humans. 

Even if this is true pesticides can be used for good.  Farmers can get more plants and farmers to make more money to keep making crops. What people could do is to abolish pesticides and to find a better more eco-friendly way of growing crops faster and to get rid of the unwanted pests that kill plants. 

Imagine what the world would look like if pesticides were still made and all farmers used them.  This is why people need to stop using pesticides altogether.