Moving on as the United States of America | Teen Ink

Moving on as the United States of America

By anyaaelizabeth BRONZE, North Haledon, New Jersey
anyaaelizabeth BRONZE, North Haledon, New Jersey

"No reality has the power to dispel a dream" -Lemony Snicket

The election of Donald J. Trump on November 8, 2016, has caused division in the United States of America. Many people are outspoken about their disapproval of Donald Trump. Some have taken violent measures. Others have verbally attacked Trump. Has it gone too far? Have we become a nation of sore losers?

The uproar started almost immediately after the Presidential election when Green Party candidate Jill Stein called for a recount in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. It was a total waste of time and money with recount results actually favoring Trump. At the same time, Democrats began crying for electoral college reform. If their candidate had won, would the thought have even crossed their minds? In Obama’s last address to soldiers in Florida, he urged them to rise up against Trump if they took any issues with his policies. However, this ludicrous behavior is not limited to politicians.

Many celebrities have gone further than just giving their opinion on the election. In fact, many of them have said ridiculous things and have said that they will take ridiculous measures! Some celebrities have threatened to move to Canada if Trump was elected. However, have we seen any actual follow through? Moving to another country just because your candidate lost? What have we become?

This behavior does not stop there. In early January, four black individuals were seen beating and torturing a white, special needs teenager. As this was happening, the black individuals are heard yelling profanities about Trump and about white people. Has it gotten to the point where the anger of losing is taken out on innocent people? Apparently so! Yet another instance of this unacceptable behavior is denying Trump supporters to eat in a restaurant. While business owners have the right to refuse service to anyone, what is this accomplishing? Many are afraid of the division Trump will bring, but aren’t we dividing ourselves further by acting this way?

By no means am I trying to convince people to agree with Trump or to stop speaking their minds. We are all allowed to do that. However, there is a time and place for things. We cannot keep acting as immature as we are about the election results. As a country, we need to unite and come together to make this country better. After all, isn’t this the United States of America and not the nation of sore losers?

This article is written out of the frustration of the division in America. The article states that we, as a country, need to unite in the upcoming change of leaders.