Dear Young Black Man | Teen Ink

Dear Young Black Man

By Jasmine'sopinion BRONZE, Stone Mountain, Georgia
Jasmine'sopinion BRONZE, Stone Mountain, Georgia

Dear Young Black Man,

In this society, and in this country, you will face injustice, downfalls, and straight inequality. We have come a long way from being segregated from other races and cultures. But yet, in reality, there is still segregation in a way if you don’t want to admit it or not. History is repeating itself. Our ancestors fought and put in the work for their lives; and yet here you are fighting and putting in the work to stay on the good side of the white man. Racism still occurs in your daily life and is acted upon on. Many people are scared to speak up about it because the ones doing it may be their friends and family.

The African American population aren’t the only ones in disagreeing about inequality in the black community. Many different nationalities realize that many innocent black lives are being taken because of the mindset of others thinking they don’t fit. There is injustice in the justice system towards black lives. The way black men are treated when walking from work at night, or him even bumping his music loud raises red flags towards people who aren’t for equality. In their minds, they feel as though they are in danger and automatically want to kill the black man off and ask questions later. Many may not even give the time nor day to ask questions. There is no guilt for their actions until their caught. Day by day the white man smiles as if nothing has gone wrong. To them it’s just getting another street thug off the streets and that their jobs are done. For us on the other hand, that may be them taking the most important black man from our families, our daily lives, and our society. Nobody thinks twice about that, instead, they react.

Now the question then arises, how can we create a solution to the problem? Honestly, that is a question that cannot be quite determined. We try to be civil and come to grounds with others, but we face those who doesn’t really care for a resolution. We protest, we respect, and still, that isn’t the solution yet. Of course, we would like to find the determinant of the problem but as life goes on I believe the cycle will continue, as well as injustice will continue.   

For that young black man who is reading this letter, I am trying to shine some perspective on you. Of course, there isn’t any good to come out of this, but there is an awareness to be brought to light. You as an individual can’t change the mindset of others but you can change the mindset of yourself. This letter isn’t meant for you to be afraid to live your life, but it is meant to bring you to reality. Every day, you have to fight harder more than any other race because you are a black man. And in my eyes, a black man is the best man to be!

Sincerely,  Jasmine