An Open Letter | Teen Ink

An Open Letter

By AssaneU BRONZE, Stone Mountain , Georgia
AssaneU BRONZE, Stone Mountain , Georgia

Dear upcoming generations,

There are things in this world that I don't think can be changed. People that I don't think care to change them. Those of the minority community have been subjected, for many years, to violence by those in law enforcement. I don't think it's just a coincidence that these situations tend to happen mainly to African American races, but it starts to show the government's role in racial suppression. For decades racist violence, police brutality, have been used to pretty much keep power and privilege in the hands of "the man.” To take land, resources, and overall maintain social control.

Police brutality has strong effects on the main segment of the American population. It is a serious offense and violates a person's human and civil rights. Police don't receive punishment and it leaves no justice for the families, for the people, and for the race as a community. Innocent men, women, and even children like yourselves, gunned down and beat up so viciously and unprofessional by police, even when complying with the law. Just to look a certain way is a crime. People simply assuming you are dangerous makes you a criminal. This makes people wonder, "are our officers of the law really doing their jobs?" The fact of the matter is that most of these incidents go unnoticed and unreported.

Although it can happen anywhere, police brutality is said to take place more often in 14 of America's largest cities, Atlanta being on of them. Now you all shouldn't have to grow up fearful of the men and women we call on for help. Not all police show this excessive force we call brutality, and not all people agree with it. There are people of all races who are actually for the people.

Police killed at least 289 black people in the U.S in 2016 and 346 in 2015. Other people around the world have views that vary. Some saying to simply " Just Stop", "Escape while you still can", and that police need to earn respect,  not beat it into people. Many believe the people should get educated and ban guns. You have people in other countries who listen, watch, and deal with the things we do here but believe there can be pathways created for the betterment of all. I've read comments, and statements based on the situation I'm writing to you about from people all around the world. One man stating that America should worry more about fixing its own problems rather than invading outside its borders. Also staying, " how can you shoot African American people without any impunity while there is an African American president". Police fail to remember what their getting pairs for, that is to protect and serve. Ask them, how would they feel if one of the victims was their relative. I do believe the police is a reflection of the general public. If police are showing racism and violence, it is there among the U.S. So hound people, in order to see a difference, remember you must be the difference in the world you want to see.
This problem can't be solved by just one person, people must come together to rid of the chaos. Train properly, invest in more important things like education and get rid of guns. Teach police that citizens are not the enemy. Some people think it'll help to hire more women and gays, giving them civilizing training.

I wouldn't give up hope on the people, on the system, or on the possibilities of change you'll conquer. I have faith. Stay strong, be brave, and always do what's right. Not all police are the same, not all people are the same, and you all as the runner ups are different and can be better.  Remember all lives matter.

Sincerely yours,

Assane-Makiadi U.