Why the Future? | Teen Ink

Why the Future?

By MariB GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
MariB GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

People say that the children are our future, but why do people use them, or worse, abuse them? As we all know, child labor was an issue in this country for a long time. Child labor has and always been a thing in the world we live in. Is this right? Do they deserve it?

Mass producers, like Forever 21, H&M, and Nike, use children and make them work. United Nations said “around 215 million children work,” these children spend their everyday lives working instead of studying. These children get paid less because they’re just children and unexperienced. These children are not having a bright future ahead of them if they stay in factories. But what’s the point of having children as workers?

Everyone has different opinions about child labor. There are some good reasons why children can help in production but in my opinion, they’re not good reasons. Child labor can contribute to the family income and help with the expenses. In our world today, things are expensive, especially the ones that we need. Making a child work at a young age may make him/her a good entrepreneur but they would only know the hands-on stuff. The companies that hire children help these children’s family and these children help the factory grow their production rate, so it’s basically a win-win situation. So is child labor really a good idea?

There’s always a downside on everything in this world. If children are trained to work for their family and inside a factory doing the same thing everyday, how can they grow mentally, emotionally, and socially? I just think it’s unethical for a company to hire children and keep them from growing and having their own freedom as a child. Yes, they’re helping their family, but why can’t the parents provide the needs of their own children and not make their children work for their own needs?

These children are working when they’re supposed to be studying. These children are exposed to chemicals at a young age when they’re supposed to be exposed with facts that will help them do better in life. These children are growing everyday but they don’t learn anything new and all they know is what they were taught to do. These children are paying for their family expenses when they’re supposed to do that when they have an actual degree or at least get a high school diploma. These children are the future of our world but they don’t even know how the world works and the only thing they know is how to work these machines.

Children are our future yet these companies keep these children from being children. The parents of these children are keeping their children from having a bright future and unleashing their full potential. In conclusion, I think people should stop thinking that child labor is okay. Let these children grow and flourish and experience living outside the factories and make them wonder how things are invented, made, and exist. Let these children see the world and explore it and define it as their own and enjoy it.