Native American Affairs | Teen Ink

Native American Affairs

By connor_stuartt BRONZE, Florence, Kentucky
connor_stuartt BRONZE, Florence, Kentucky

The U.S. government has committed a terrible injustice towards Native Americans. They live on small reservations in poverty, they have the highest rate of drug and alcohol abuse; not to mention the high rate of teen suicide. The United States government should repay the Native Americans a total sum of $43,500,000,000 as reparation for the monumental injustices they have endured, this money along with a national apology would allow Native Americans to have a better quality of life, and give them their dignity back.

The U.S. government should repay the Native Americans a total sum of $43,500,000 as monetary reparation to give them a better quality of life. The United States forced Native Americans to give up their land that spanned approximately 75% of the country, they now live in a handful of minute reservations in extreme poverty. For example, former President Barack Obama stated,  “The biggest problem that we have in terms of race relations, I think, is dealing with the legacy of past discrimination against blacks and Native Americans which has resulted in extreme disparities in terms of poverty and income for these groups.” This is important because Native Americans are living in extreme poverty. This is forcing them commit crimes to survive, such as stealing food to prevent famine. Monetary reparation would allow the Native Americans to rebuild their homes and communities, as well as buying food and other items that are essential to survival. Therefore, money would give the Native Americans a better quality of life as decreasing poverty on their land.

Additionally, Americans should give Native Americans money as reparation for the monumental injustices they have faced as a way to give the Native Americans their dignity back. For example, former President, Barack Obama stated, “I personally would want to see our tragic history, or the tragic elements of our history, acknowledged.” Monetary reparation would give Native Americans a greater sense of self-respect because it would allow Native Americans to be more self-sufficient. The Native Americans would not require the government's’ help to pay for items needed for survival, such as food. Money would decrease the amount of poverty on Native American land, as well as making the Native Americans more independent as they would no longer need government aid.  In conclusion, monetary reparation would allow Native Americans to become more independent, giving them their dignity back by being completely self-reliant.

Lastly, critics argue  that the Native Americans should receive land as reparation for the poverty and poor living conditions that we Americans have given them; however,However this is not true because if Americans give the Native Americans land, they would not be able to do anything with the reparation as they do not have the funds to do anything with it. For example, former President, Barack Obama states, “I consistently believe that when it comes to whether it’s Native Americans or African-American issues or reparations, the most important thing for the U.S. government to do is not just offer words, but offer deeds.” Considering they are already living in severe poverty, Native Americans would also require monetary value to have the means to be able to use the land to bring themselves out of the severe poverty they are experiencing. Without money, Native Americans would have a greater territory, but with no money to be able to build farms, or roads, to be able to make more food to prevent people going hungry or making money from their crops. They would also need money to rebuild houses on their new land, with the very little they already have, they would be unable to do this.   In conclusion, giving land to the Native Americans would be thoughtless and illogical because the Native Americans are living in poverty. Consequently, they would not be able to give themselves a better life with only land for reparation for the monumental injustices Americans have given them.

In conclusion, monetary reparation as well as a national apology would give the Native Americans a better quality of life, and restore their sense of self-respect and dignity. I strongly encourage you to write to your local Congressmen to share your ideas and thoughts on Native American reparation; please attempt to educate your community on this topic. Humanity in itself, is equal and should be treated that way.

I was originally told to write this piece as a part of a school project, but then I ealized how interesting the topic of this article was. I am glad to say that I wrote something that will hopefully help the public educate themselves on discrimination.