Common Core: A System We Should Trust? | Teen Ink

Common Core: A System We Should Trust?

Required Common Core is a set of academic standards for teaching and assessing students between kindergarten through the 12th grade. The Required Common Core claims to prepare all students for college, which can be found debatable. Some may say that Common Core is the perfect system in order to help students get ready for college. On the other hand, some will state that Common Core is not the ideal learning system and does not prepare all students for college. Required Common Core should promote a more college-like work ethic, increase in their modern learning styles, and recognize students’ individuality.

Common Core should encourage college inspired work expectations for high school students. This will help in preparing aspiring students for college. The level of work required for Common Core does match the college workload. Common core deceives high school students into believing that they are currently working at college-like standards: “Common Core fails to create the building blocks necessary to prepare aspiring students for college level work”, (Reim). Students’ time and efforts are being wasted as the Common Core workload does resemble the college working standards. This tampers with the students predictions of college, causing students arrive to college with a rude awakening.

The teaching styles under Common Core do not provide a college like environment. The Common Core teachers’ expectations of their students is completely different from college professors’ expectations: “ ‘College and Career readiness’ is another dubious slogan used by Common Core. The problem with this slogan is that is underscores a distorted view of education” (Bascom). Again, this is very misleading as students assume they are being assessed at a college level. Common Core is a strict system in which students are working and learning at an unbeneficial standard. Although this system is relatively new, its learning styles are outdated and limits students acceptability for knowledge.

Schools have existed for at least 400 years and the learning environment has yet to make a complete change. Traditionally, teachers take position in the front of the classroom while students listen to the lesson and jot notes. Common Core should improve schools by creating a more modern living environment. Using modern inspired learning methods might allow the students to learn better causing an increase in test scores.

The old-fashioned learning system within schools under Common Core can be connected to the society within the novel Anthem, written by Ayn Rand. The society within the novel lacks in modern technology and does not have electricity. The authority within this society did not applaud such inventions that promoted modern activity as it was considered to be evil. The main character Equality, exhibits highly intelligent traits. He was able to recreate or discover tecnology himself. He did so by making a lightbox when conducting an experiment. He was so proud of his discovery he went to the Home of Scholars to present his invention. Unfortunately, they scolded Equality for his actions: “ Should it be what they claim of it then it would bring ruin to the department of candles. The candle is great boon to mankind, as approved by all men. Therefore it cannot be destroyed by one” (Rand 73). These strict tendencies destroyed both Equality and society’s  potential for greatness.

This is very similar to how schools’ use of Common Core hinders students’ potential of greatness by using older ways of teaching students. The best way a student can learn is experiencing the subject for themselves. How can Common Core claim to prepare students for the future, when teaching them lessons from the past using past methods? To prepare students for the future, students need to undergo present-day lessons and work experiences. Not only will this open a new area for beneficial knowledge, but help them chooses which career they would like to venture towards.

Under Common Core students are forced to take a majority of the same classes. In addition, these classes have little to no effect on their future career and college preparation. Common Core should recognize students’ individuality by providing schools with more creative and career informative classes for students. All students are different with different career/future goals. Therefore, students should not be forced to take the same classes: “The One-size-fits-all’ national standards are undervisning American. It is nearly impossible and does a great disservice to future generation, to demand uniformity and place restriction on the classroom that of classes they want to take. Schools should not put students into groups and expect them all assumes on ‘best practice’ ”, (Reim). The classes distributed by Common Core completely overshadow  students’ individuality. Recognizing a student's individuality is very essential when teaching. With classes more directed to students’ possibly career making talents, students will be able to expand their knowledge in their field of choice.

Common Cores’ tactics are similar to how the people within the society of Anthem, despise individuality and promote group beliefs. Just like the present-day students under Common Core, the people of Equality's society suffer under the conditions of the group. Due to the fact,  that their voice is rarely being acknowledged.
These similar conditions can be rooted to the novel Siddhartha, written by Herman Hesse. The main character Siddhartha, is young boy who has everything anyone could ever ask for. Although, he feels as if there is something more elsewhere. He recognizes the blank spaces within his surroundings and goes off to find a way for them to be filled: “He had begun to suspect that his worthy father and his other teachers, the wise Brahmin; had already passed on to him the bulk and best of their wisdom, that they has already poured the sum total of their knowledge into his waiting vessel; and the vessel was not full, his intellect was not satisfied” (Hesse 5). Similar to Siddhartha, there are blank spaces within the state given curriculum. Students are given the so called “foundational” studies (such as: Math, English, History, and Science) but, they are lacking in the knowledge they need in their careers. The importance of high school is preparing students for their future. The best way to do this is by supplying students with classes to inform them on possible careers they could have. Some students graduate high school feeling like Siddhartha, academically unsatisfied.

On the contrary, some may believe that the required Common Core is an ideal system of teaching and prepares all students for their future. Due to the fact, that Common Core can be seen as organized and easy for educators to work with, many people encourage the use of the system. Not only that, some may say this system gives students a rigor way of thinking which prepares them for college: “The standards [of Common Core] are based on international benchmarks and incorporate the newest educational thinking, and they build upon successful elements” (WordPress). This system can be seen as a good way to teach all students with a durable level of difficulty to teach students to work harder.

Common Core may be organized but, organization does not necessarily mean better. The organization and easiness of Common Core overshadows the student's individuality which results in the failure of giving students what is necessary to succeed in their future: “Common Core was never evaluated or peer reviewed by teachers or education specialists, nor did parents have any say in their development or implementation” (Bascom). Not only does this system give empty promises, but it has never been evaluated. Without proper evaluation, can we really say this system is organized and teaches students to work harder?

Most believe Common Core provides all that is necessary to send students off to college. While on the other hand, some believe Common Core does not provide the essentials to prepare students for college. Although it is promised, Common Core does not prepare all students for college. Common Core should match the college workload, this system should use modern tactics as a way to prepare students for their future, and acknowledge  students’ individuality. Common Core should appeal to the students by providing what is necessary to increase students’ success after high school. In the absence of these qualities, how is that we can trust Common core with providing our students with the necessary building blocks of their future?

Bibliography 
Bascom, James. “9 Reasons Why Common Core Is Bad for Education.” TFP Student Action. N.p., 20 Jan. 2016. Web. 12 Feb. 2017.
  Hesse, Hermann. Siddhartha. Hoverlag: n.p., 2016 Print.
  Rand, Ayn. Anthem. N.p.: Ancona Media, 2015. Print.
  Reim, Mary Clare. “Common Core Does Not Prepare Students For College.” The Daily Signal.
N.p., 14 June. 2016. Web. 12 Feb. 2017.
"Thinking About The Common Core Standards ." (n.d.): n. pag. WordPress. Web. 12 Feb. 2016.