Dear Girls | Teen Ink

Dear Girls

By SupahAce15 PLATINUM, Marietta, Georgia
SupahAce15 PLATINUM, Marietta, Georgia

"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"- Oscar Wilde

Each and everyone of you is extraordinary. All of you have gifts whether it's academic, artistic, or athletic. There is something about you that stands apart from everybody else. So I'm sorry to say that the world won't recognize that right away. I'm sorry that some of you will be paid less than your male counterparts. I'm sorry that most of us are and will be objectified sexually. I'm sorry that we have to hide parts of ourselves because society dictates that it's not "feminine" or "womanly". And I'm very sorry that we are pressured, overlooked, undermined and considered "weak". However despite the hardships that come with being a woman, I wouldn't compromise my womanhood for the world. You shouldn't either.

Some of the things that are in this world, wouldn't be here without women. We are inventors. You wouldn't believe how many things were invented by women. Fire escapes, Dishwashers, Life Rafts, Kevlar, Monopoly, Computers (Computer Programs), Medical syringes, Ice cream makers, and so much more. We are authors. Books like "To Kill A Mockingbird", "Beloved", "Wuthering Heights", "The Color Purple," "Jane Eyre", "A Wrinkle In Time", "Pride and Prejudice" "Little Women", and "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" showed life from different perspectives, talked about issues that plagued society, and basically inspire people. (Especially me) We are painters, sculptors, dreamers. Some of the greatest art in the world were created by women. Like "The Two Fridas", "Black Iris", "A Subtlety", "A Beautiful World", "Street Story Quilt", "Night Creatures", "The Harbor At Lorient", and "The Ascent of Ethiopia". These pieces depicted the world from a whole new light and got people thinking.

History, at first glance makes it seem like women weren't a huge part of it. But when you look closer, you'll see that we made a huge impact. In some ways we made history.  We were and still are fighters, activists, dreamers and believers. We secured our right to vote, we fought for equal rights, we protested our treatment in this world. Our womanhood doesn't make us "weak", it makes us strong. It is an honor and a pleasure to be a woman and I hope you never forget that. No one should define you as a person based on your gender. Being a woman doesn't define you, It's merely part of your character. Just one piece of the puzzle.

My dream is that one day women everywhere will integrate into the world and society as equals. That we will be respected and treated with dignity. That we can be free to showcase all parts of us without judgement. Unfortunately to some people this is a man's world so my dream is unrealistic. But it doesn't have to be that way. We can make it a man and a woman's world. To quote Whitney Houston,"I like being a woman, even in a man's world. After all, men can't wear dresses, but we can wear the pants."

antea GOLD said...
on Mar. 23 2017 at 2:02 pm
antea GOLD, Tirana, Other
This is amazing, everything in this essay is well presented and true! Keep on writing!