the 14th president - Abraham Lincoln - Through the civil war and slavery | Teen Ink

the 14th president - Abraham Lincoln - Through the civil war and slavery

By Menderdragon BRONZE, Pleasant Grove, Alabama
Menderdragon BRONZE, Pleasant Grove, Alabama

Abraham Lincoln was considered the saddest man ever.  He was this way because he was born on a dirt floor, his mom died when he was 9, his father was illiterate, his wife died and he had to marry a woman he didn’t fully love.  But even though this was how he was he still loved animals and wanted equal rights for all.  Abraham Lincoln was a great president of the U.S. because he led America through the civil war, he watched America go through slavery and wanted to help end it, so he ended slavery in the confederate states.

Abraham Lincoln was a Huge part of the United States history.  When Abraham Lincoln won the election in 1861 he became the 16th president of the U.S. using his new power he decided to free all slaves that he could with the Emancipation proclamation, which was a big deal not just for freedom but also in the war that was going on.  At this time the civil war had taken its toll both sides had lost a lot of soldiers and were running on thin military power.  The Emancipation Proclamation was the final shove that provided the Union with enough force to fight on and overpower the rebelling states.  In 1858 Lincoln ran against Stephen A. Douglas for Senator.  He lost the election, but in debating with Douglas he gained a national reputation that won him the Republican nomination for president in 1860, ("Abraham Lincoln." The White House. The United States Government, 08 Mar. 2017. Web. 21 Mar. 2017 ).  As Abraham Lincoln gained a national reputation the number of people watching his debates increased.  When this happened his ‘fans’ increased and he got a Republican nomination for president the following year.  All of these facts go to say that he was a huge part of America’s history.

Abraham Lincoln was a great leader for the U.S.  As the website ‘The Accomplishments of President Abraham Lincoln’ states, “Abraham Lincoln is remembered for his vital role as the leader in preserving the Union during the Civil War and beginning the process (Emancipation Proclamation) that led to the end of slavery in the United States”. When he did the Emancipation Proclamation it sealed the deal for who was going to win the war. Though what some people overlook is that he did this after he was told that he shouldn’t do it by numerous of high ranking officers and generals. Based on the website ‘The Accomplishments of President Abraham Lincoln’,“He is also remembered for his character and leadership, his speeches and letters, and as a man of humble origins whose determination and perseverance led him to the nation's highest office”,(Abraham Lincoln. (2017, March 08). Retrieved March 09, 2017).  Abraham Lincoln was remembered for his leadership and his role at the time was huge and majorly impacted the way the war would go. The battle of Gettysburg probably would have went the other way without the Emancipation Proclamation.  All of this information and these facts just prove that Abraham Lincoln was a great leader for the U.S. at the time that he was.

Abraham Lincoln was one of us.  “He was a big animal lover, but he wouldn’t hunt or fish.  If he were alive today, Lincoln would be running an animal shelter”, (Staff, NCC. "50 interesting facts about Abraham Lincoln’s life." Constitution Daily. N.p., 18 Feb. 2016. Web. 21 Mar. 2017 ).  The fact provided by ´Constitution Daily’ shows that he was not a bad guy and that he would do whatever possible to save animals.  Which most of us now love the day to day animals like dogs and cats.  Abraham Lincoln was suffragette and wanted woman's rights in the 1800’s, which shows that he felt bad for some people and wanted them to have the rights that he had.  Abraham Lincoln also wanted to free slaves and achieved that goal by ending slavery in the U.S. This shows that Abraham Lincoln was like us.

All of this goes to say that Abraham Lincoln was a great president. It also acknowledges that he was the right leader at the right time.  When Abraham Lincoln was elected president America had decided that it did not want any more slavery in America.  A little known fact was that Abraham Lincoln was considered the saddest man.  He also loved the Bible and it read every day but never joined an organized church.  The 16th president of the U.S. was a great president and led America through the civil war, and ended slavery in the confederate states.  This just shows how great of a leader he was to America.

Abraham Lincoln - The 14th President - Through the Civil War and Slavery