This is us..... | Teen Ink

This is us.....

Without Martin Luther King JR. I might will know the people that I know today.  I might will not have the amazing English teacher that I have today.  Martin Luther King JR. was one of the ones who fought for a change,and later in life he got that change.  Martin Luther King always fought for what he believe which was everyone was equal.  Martin Luther King jr. was one of the most important voices in the Civil Rights Movement.

A smart kid, Martin Luther King grew up in a good and loving home.  “At noon on Tuesday,January 15,1929 at the family in Atlanta, Martin Luther King Jr.was the first son,  and second child born to the Reverend Martin Luther King, Sr. and Alberta Williams King.”( The Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change. N.p., n.d.) Martin Luther King mom was a school teacher and his dad was a pastor.  Martin Luther king was born on 1/15/1929. “The second child of Martin Luther King Sr. (1899-1984), a pastor, and Alberta Williams King (1904-1974), a former schoolteacher.”( Martin Luther King Jr." Biography.com. A&E Networks Television, 05 Jan. 2017. )  Martin Luther King JR. was a smart kid at only 15 he was in college.  He attended Morehouse college where he studied medicine and law.  Martin Luther king enroll himself in a graduate program where he met his wife coretta Scott. Martin and Coretta got married in 1953 and settled in Montgomery, Alabama.  Martin Luther king later became a pastor at Dexter Avenue Baptist Church.     Martin Luther King Jr. was a very smart kid.  Martin Luther King Jr. met his wife in Boston when they move back to Alabama where he became a pastor , and had four children.  Martin Luther King Jr. was a hard worker, and was a really intelligent person.

Martin Luther King Jr. was the most important person in of the American Civil Rights movement,and worked for equal rights for all.  “He was famous for using nonviolent resistance to overcome justice and he never got tired of trying to end segregation laws.  He also did all he could to make people realize “ all men are created equal” because of his work, in 1964 he won the nobel peace prize the youngest person ever to receive this high honor.”(America's Library - Library of Congress." Martin Luther King, Jr. | America's Library - Library of Congress. N.p., n.d)   Martin Luther King Jr. always people to realize that all men are created equal.  In 1964 he won the nobel peace prize the youngest person ever to win the nobel peace prize. “Minster and social activist who played a key role in the American civil rights movement from the mid-1950s.Inspired by advocates of nonviolence such as Mahatma Gandhi, King sought equality for African Americans, the economically disadvantaged and victims of injustice through peaceful protest. He was the driving force behind watershed events such as the Montgomery Bus Boycott and the March on Washington, which helped bring about such landmark legislation as the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965.  In these years, he led a massive protest in Birmingham, Alabama, that caught the attention of the entire world, providing what he called a coalition of conscience, and inspiring his "Letter from a Birmingham Jail", a manifesto of the Negro revolution; he planned the drives in Alabama for the registration of Negroes as voters; he directed the peaceful march on Washington, D.C., of 250,000 people to whom he delivered his address, "l Have a Dream", he conferred with President John F. Kennedy and campaigned for President Lyndon B. Johnson; he was arrested upwards of twenty times and assaulted at least four times; he was awarded five honorary degrees; was named Man of the Year by Time magazine in 1963; and became not only the symbolic leader of American blacks but also a world figure.”At the age of thirty-five, Martin Luther King, Jr., was the youngest man to have received the Nobel Peace Prize. When notified of his selection, he announced that he would turn over the prize money of $54,123 to the furtherance of the civil rights movement.”("Martin Luther King Jr." Nobelprize.org. N.p., n.d.)
  Martin Luther King Jr. was a inspired by Mahatma Gandhi.  Martin Luther King Jr.  gave one of his most important speech which is his  “ I have a dream speech” in Washington D.C.  Martin Luther  King Jr. was one of the most important voices in the civil rights movement and he always wanted everyone to be equal and he was always told people to fight with love and not with their fist.

On April 4, 1968 the people of the United States of America learned that Martin Luther King  Jr. was shot to death.   Martin Luther King Jr. was a change that needed in America. “ In the last years of his life, King faced mounting criticism from young African-American activists who favored a more confrontational approach to seeking change. These young radicals stuck closer to the ideals of the black nationalist leader Malcolm X (himself assassinated in 1965), who had condemned King’s advocacy of nonviolence as “criminal” in the face of the continuing repression suffered by African Americans.   As a result of this opposition, King sought to widen his appeal beyond his own race, speaking out publicly against the Vietnam War and working to form a coalition of poor Americans–black and white alike–to address such issues as poverty and unemployment.  In the spring of 1968, while preparing for a planned march to Washington to lobby Congress on behalf of the poor, King and other SCLC (Southern Christian Leadership Conference) members were called to Memphis, Tennessee to support a sanitation workers’ strike.  Just after 6 p.m. the following day, King was standing on the second-floor balcony of the Lorraine Motel, where he and associates were staying, when a sniper’s bullet struck him in the neck.”( "Martin Luther King Jr Assassination." History.com. A&E Television Networks, 2010.)
He was rushed to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead about an hour later, at the age of 39. He left behind 4 children and his now window Coretta Scott King.  “Shock and distress over the news of King’s death sparked rioting in more than 100 cities around the country. Martin Luther King Jr.  was a remember man was will always be remembered for changing america for the better.  Martin luther King Jr. was a great leader and inspired his to stand up for our rights.  News of King’s assassination prompted major outbreaks of racial violence, resulting in more than 40 deaths nationwide and extensive property damage in over 100 American cities. James Earl Ray, a 40-year-old escaped fugitive, later confessed to the crime. During King’s funeral a tape recording was played in which King spoke of how he wanted to be remembered after his death: ‘‘I’d like somebody to mention that day that Martin Luther King Jr. tried to give his life serving others’’(King, ‘‘Drum Major Instinct,’’ 85). King had arrived in Tennessee on Wednesday 3 April to prepare for a march the following Monday on behalf of striking Memphis sanitation workers. As he prepared to leave the Lorraine Motel for a dinner at the home of Memphis minister Samuel ‘‘Billy’’ Kyles, King stepped out onto the balcony of room 306 to speak with Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) colleagues standing in the parking area below. An assassin ?red a single shot that caused severe wounds to the lower right side of his face. SCLC aides rushed to him, and Ralph Abernathy cradled King’s head. Others on the balcony pointed across the street toward the rear of a boarding house on South Main Street where the shot seemed to have originated. An ambulance rushed King to St. Joseph’s Hospital, where doctors pronounced him dead at 7:05 P.M.” ( "Assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. (4 April 1968)." Assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. (4 April 1968). N.p., n.d.)
James Earl Ray went to jail and pleaded guilty and got 99 years in prison. Martin Luther King Jr. was a civil rights activist  we always fight for people's rights as americans. Martin Luther King  Jr. lived a great life and change other people's life for the better like mine.

Martin Luther King Jr. was the most important person in the Civil Rights Movement.  He always wanted people to love one another and not hate one another.  Martin Luther King Jr. was the youngest person ever to win a Nobel Peace Prize.  Martin Luther King change lives like mine and yours for the better.

I worked really hard on this piece.  I chose to do Maetin Luther king because of how important he was in the civil rights movement.  he always fought for what he believe in.   I hope that you enjoy.