A (Disney) World of Change | Teen Ink

A (Disney) World of Change

By Trisha_in_Wonderland BRONZE, Johns Creek, Georgia
Trisha_in_Wonderland BRONZE, Johns Creek, Georgia

Disney World is a magical place for everyone. Most people have special memories of going there and having the time of their life. I, myself, have been there seven times, and each time I remember doing something that brought magic into my life in a different way. However, my last visit changed me completely. This trip made me completely sure of my future. Before, I did not know where I wanted to go in life or what I wanted to do, but Disney World used its pixie dust magic to change that. Now, you may be thinking: how in the name of God could a theme park impact someone that much? I mean, it's fun, but you know… And yeah, I get what you are trying to say. I always have the time of my life there, but it's not like every time I came back from Disney I was enlightened. I did something special this trip, and as a teenage Disney fan who had no clue where she wanted to go, it became one of the most important moments in my life.

Now you're probably wondering what this special life-changing something I did was. Well, when I went to Magic Kingdom for my sixteenth birthday, I went on an exclusive tour called Keys to the Kingdom. It was restricted to people ages sixteen and older, and it was quite expensive, so I felt pretty cool as I strode through the elaborate, old-timey entrance of the Town Square Theater to check in. The tour was five hours in total, and in that time we learned about the behind-the-scenes aspects of Magic Kingdom and got a peek into Walt Disney's life. The tour guide was enthusiastic and knowledgeable, allowing me to be immediately immersed into the world of Disney. As we started the tour, I felt the regular sensations that I feel as I enter the park: magic settled down upon me like pixie dust was floating through the air, and wonder rushed through my veins. Happy music played in the background, accompanied by the smell of pastries, giving me a giddy feeling. As the towering Cinderella castle came into view, its glittering blue spires and fairytale structure seemed to instill happiness in the atmosphere. I had always loved this sensation, and this tour explained why I was feeling this way and how this illusion was created. At this point, I was listening contently, always at the front of the group, eager for more information.

I learned so much in the tour that it would be impossible to summarize it all here. As our group strolled down each heavily themed street, the significance of each little detail was explained to us, all the way down to the “old west” design of the wooden buildings dominating Frontierland and Maximus’s hoof prints in Fantasyland. All of this made me realize how much hard work and dedication goes into making this magical world. For example, did you know that movie tricks are used to make the Cinderella castle look bigger than it really is? These little details filled me with awe. We went to “backstage” areas where guests do not usually go, and learned how the most magical place on Earth is structured like a movie or play: Magic Kingdom is the stage, and backstage—the area that guests don’t see—is where the magic is created. These areas were not exquisitely themed like the rest of Magic Kingdom; instead, they comprised of large, plain whitewashed or light green buildings. However, I still saw a certain charm in them. We rode rides like Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion while learning fascinating information about them. I can almost imagine the euphoric expression on my face when I learned that Madame Leota’s face and voice are, in fact, different people. When we went to the Utilidors, which are the underground tunnels used by cast members, we learned about Walt Disney's dreams and ideas as well as stories about the start of the company. As our tour guide told the heartwarming stories behind the black-and-white pictures plastered on the walls, our eyes welled up with tears.

These pictures were put up in the Utilidors to inspire the cast members to keep making magic happen. And because I’m that person who cries during every Pixar movie (Bing Bong! The beginning of Up! I can’t help it.), the pictures with their respective stories touched and inspired me as well. At this point, I held a deep appreciation for the way the Kingdom functioned around me. I realized how small details and stories work together to create an unforgettable experience filled with happiness for every person. I eventually saw that it is not just magical for the guests, but also for the people who create the magic, who get to witness the birth of happiness.

And that was when my life changed. I realized that I would be happy in my future if I was a part of this magic. Creating happiness for others while also working with stories I love started to appeal to me more than ever. Before, I had no idea of what I wanted to do or who I wanted to be. But seeing the world behind the magic, I was introduced to the thought that if I worked at Disney, I would be happy. I could work anywhere: in the parks, in the movies, or even in an office. But I would be happy.

I never expected to walk out of the tour and into the bustling streets of Magic Kingdom as a changed woman. In fact, I was so pleased that I might have cried just a few times during the remainder of my time at Disney World; I saw the secrets behind what I just discovered manifest around me, pulling me closer to the heart of the company. Smiling cast members, immersive environments, kindhearted characters, laughing guests… they all contributed to this feeling. I felt a sense of satisfaction that I had been unfamiliar with until now. It is a great feeling when you know what your goal is, and when that uncertainty in your life melts away.

Now, I am looking into attending Disney College Program, which is a study-abroad-type program where one gets to work in the Parks while taking college courses. I also decided to target getting into the business side of things at Disney, which is still pretty general, but it's definitely progress. I am not unsure anymore, and I have a stronger sense of who I am and in which direction I want to go.

So, yeah: that's what a trip to Disney World did for me. It may seem insignificant when I say "I went to Disney World," but it actually gave me the knowledge of my future that I was looking for. Which means that I can happily join the league of people who knew precisely what they wanted to be since they were young (I still do not get how that happens). I know some of you may be reading this, thinking, "Well, I still have no clue where I'm going, and something like Disney World won't change that." And if you are still unsure, that's okay. I learned that sometimes, the most unexpected moments and experiences can set you on a journey to happiness and prosperity. All you have to do is just wait for them to happen.

As a huge Disney fan, I was inspired to write this piece both by my love for Disney and my newly gained confidence in my future.

I hope that teens (and adults!) will read this piece and realize that there can be hope in their futures, and that it is possible for anyone to find themselves.