Trust | Teen Ink

Trust

By mrizzi18 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
mrizzi18 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

You are the hands that let go of every child as they start pedaling their bicycle for the first time.
You are the pain a shot releases that was just supposed to feel like a pinch,
And you are the one person that purposely changes the phrase while playing the game telephone.

Oh, how I wish you could be the bumpers in bowling alleys
Or the lid that seals a full cup of liquid from spilling,
But you continue to be that one squirrel in the middle of the street, staring at the driver, waiting for the car to magically fly over you.

However, I am the splinter that slides into the foot of your swift dance on the wooden floors.
I am the surgeon that continuously works on the patient, even after the straight line projects across the screen.
I am the last rose petal hanging onto the drooping, green stem as the rest lie beneath, crumpled and discolored,
And I will always be the driver that waits as long as it takes in order for that one squirrel to cross the street.

My relationship with my father inspired me to write this poem. Everyone has rocky relationships with others so I think this poem is easy to relate to.

on Apr. 28 2017 at 4:46 pm
HereSheIs BRONZE, Wellesley, Massachusetts

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." -Plato

I love the imagery you create with your metaphors, and contrasting 2 sides of the squirrel situation. You did an amazing job of portraying a relationship