A Special Friendship with a Bitter End-Saying Goodbye to Your Pet | Teen Ink

A Special Friendship with a Bitter End-Saying Goodbye to Your Pet

By ClaireLappinga BRONZE, Palos Verdes Estates, California
ClaireLappinga BRONZE, Palos Verdes Estates, California

As humans, we all need something in our lives that makes us feel truly happy-things that can make a long day not seem so bad or allow us to escape from the sometimes harsh reality of life. This ‘thing’ is different for everyone. Maybe it’s a hobby, a favorite food, a special friend. For many of us, one of these things is that furry friend who is always there to greet you, always happy to see you no matter how hard life may be. Pets are just one example of something that can lift our spirits.

But what about the people who have nothing, who can’t afford to even feed themselves, who have nobody left to care for them? What is left in life to make them feel happy? For these people, there may be no escape from the reality of struggling to find their next meal or not having a place to call home. For these people, a pet could mean everything.

There are many problems, however, with low or no income people owning pets. Many struggle to afford food for themselves, let alone for a pet, and veterinary bills may be entirely too expensive. These problems are part of the reason the U.S. Humane Society estimates 6-8 million cats and dogs enter shelters  and over 1 million households give up their pets each year in the U.S.  These innocent pets must suffer the consequences of their owners not being able to afford to keep them and may even face death as an estimated 3 million shelter animals are euthanized each year.  In turn, the people who are already struggling to maintain their own livelihood must deal with the heartbreaking experience of giving up their pets. It is not a happy ending for anyone.
How can this be prevented? In a telephone survey conducted by Edge Research Inc., which involved 590 randomly selected people who had given up their pets, it was found that, for those who had a yearly income of less than $50,000, free or low cost veterinary care would have helped 40% and free or low cost pet food would have helped 30% of participants to keep their pets. 

In a separate survey conducted by the ASPCA at the Chesterfield Square/South Los Angeles Animal Services facility, an open admission shelter located in an area consisting chiefly of low income households, it was found that, among 162 participants who were about to surrender their pets to the shelter, 71% identified cost as a factor in their decision to relinquish.  Furthermore, 88% of participants chose to pursue services that would help them to keep their pets, after being made aware of their existence, instead of relinquishing their pets to the shelter, and 81% said that they were not previously aware of the availability of these services. 

This is the sad truth of pet relinquishment-people saying goodbye to their beloved pets thinking this is the best they can do for these animals-their only option, when there were, in fact, ways for them to avoid this unfortunate ending for themselves and their pet. As found in these surveys, there is an apparent need for services to help people afford to care for and feed their pets. These pet retention services do exist, but, considering that many still surrender their pets for financial related reasons, their availability or knowledge of their availability is clearly not sufficiently widespread. 23 million pets live in underserved communities in the U.S., and they need help. 
Many people argue that low or no income people should not be allowed to own pets-that it would be more humane for these pets to go to shelters, but there are many reasons why it is important that these people have the ability to own and keep their pets. Being relinquished to a shelter is probably one of the worst possible outcomes for pets. At shelters, pets will receive minimal care, living in overcrowded cages with little or no human interaction. Sometimes, they even face the end of their life-according to estimations from the ASPCA, 20 percent of dogs and 27 percent of cats that enter shelters are euthanized, and only about half of shelter cats and dogs are adopted.  Nobody wants these odds for their pet. In addition, it is much more cost-effective for pet owners to keep their pets. The United States spends approximately 8 dollars per capita to fund animal shelters annually.  If people can retain their pets, it is, overall, more humane for the animals and cheaper for taxpayers.

Owning a pet can have significant benefits in our emotional health. Many people living in poverty struggle to maintain a state of emotional well-being. According to a survey from the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, based on over 288,000 interviews, 31% of those living in poverty report having been diagnosed with depression at some point in their lives, while this was true for only 16% of those not living in poverty.  Even more than the average person, the impoverished need help maintaining their happiness and, when times are tough, pets can be the perfect solution. An Australian survey published in the Social Indicators Research journal that included 1,011 participants concluded that those who had a cat or dog were generally healthier than those who did not, based on their recent medication use or number of physician visits.  Also, these pet owners were, overall, less lonely and had the benefit of a greater social support network. 

Aside from what research shows, we know that pets are non-judgmental and will not, unlike other humans, discriminate against people for their economic background. They are loyal and will be there for us when all others seem to have turned away, providing a sense of security and well-being in the worst of circumstances. Pets provide a sense of responsibility, as well, and can give our lives more meaning. Arguably, the need for a pet, a reliable companion, throughout the difficulties of life is just as significant as the need for food and shelter. This need must be recognized and supported to assist the impoverished as best as possible.

It is easy to ignore the many hardships the poor face. There are lots of things in life we take for granted that people struggling financially simply can’t have. When money gets tight, pets are often one of the first things that must go. Desperate people, even families, are forced to give up their beloved pets just because they can’t afford them. It is imperative that the need for pet retention programs is recognized so that pets are kept out of shelters and stay in their homes where they belong. Veterinary clinics may offer free or low cost veterinary services, as they sometimes do already. There are resources, national and local, that work to provide financial assistance or offer loans to people who can’t afford medical bills for their pets. Food banks and pantries may offer pet food alongside human food to clients. Many food banks already receive safe unsellable food items for humans from grocery stores and food manufacturers; the same may be done for pet food. One example of a currently existing effort to help those in need with pets is the safety net program from the ASPCA. This program exists in various communities across the country and focuses on things like pet food banks, the availability of medical vouchers for pets, and providing pet-friendly housing.  In 2016, the program assisted 10,816 pets.  Other organizations like the ASPCA also work hard to fund similar programs, but they are often still growing. In order to help those in need with pets they must continue to grow and gain more support. Many people would do anything for their pets. It is important we help the people who can’t.