Halting the Human Wildfire | Teen Ink

Halting the Human Wildfire

Society. When it comes to mind, one might think of school, businesses, work, people, etc., generally order and peace. Serene as it is, threats exists to those within society: some widespread, some dangerous, some containing both. Although there are quite many, there is one that remains by humanity’s side for decades, even centuries. Its prevalence is as threatening as its longevity.

What may come first into mind is that it is some sort of natural disaster. Even before the rise of civilization, they have plagued humanity. Storms, including hurricanes and tornadoes, send torrents of rain and wind that rip up property. Earthquakes bulldoze the lands and shock the people to their knees. Tsunamis flood the coastal homes and displace everything not bolted down. But, none of these is the danger mention, although they existed way before this danger. This threat to speak of is a product of civilization, so prevalent that it once was accepted by society.

If not natural disasters, then it should be crimes like thief and murder, right? Wrong again. Although stealing another’s belongings is nothing to be pound of and to play God is unforgivable, it pales to the impact the threat yields. Neither of the two is as influential, although its effects are slow to occur. If not disasters nor crimes, what could it be?

Drugs? Yes, specifically smoking. Although at first glance one may wonder how a rod of rolled up dried plant leaves could have that much influence, it should be instead treated with great caution as it can affect not just the user but others and the surroundings. Just in 2011 alone, about 90,000 smoking-material fires caused about $621 million in direct property damage . Also for that same year, over 480,000 deaths can be contributed to both the direct and indirect (secondhand) smoking alone.  This is just the resulting consequences of smokers of one year, one year out of the decades – no, centuries – of existence.

One’s health that is primarily target of smoking, which death may be an effect of. One disease or more in about 16 million people can be contribute to the cause of smoking.  Death, although an extreme, is an occurrence of smoking.  Beginning from 1964, about some 20 million Americans have lost their lives due to this threat. About 2.5 million of those affected were indirectly - secondhand smoking.  To put that into better perspective, over one-tenth who died by smoking probably never touched the object that would send them to their demises. Additionally, if you were to represent each death with an inch and set it in a straight line, it would stretch for roughly 3, 800 miles – greater than the span of the continental US.

In terms of different effects, smoking could shorten life expectancy of those by 13-14 year.  The chance of disease instead increases greatly. Coronary heart disease is increase by 2 to 4 times; stroke by 2 to 4 times; lung cancer by 25 times .

In order to quell the tragedies that befall one of smoking, the simplest solution is the easiest: just reduce the amount or even just stop. Although it is up to user to quit or not, it is significant that they do quit and continue doing so. In conclusion, don’t send your money, health, and home up in smokes for a smoke.