The Candy Jar | Teen Ink

The Candy Jar

By evanescencefan101 BRONZE, Chesterland, Ohio
evanescencefan101 BRONZE, Chesterland, Ohio

"I don't care about sexiness. I'm a musician, not a model. I'm talking about real events and the pain... I'm not talking about bedroom fantasies." -Amy Lee (Evanescence)

Right down the street from my home church is the spot where my great-grandmother’s house once stood.  I loved that house.  Every Sunday after church, my dad and I would go and get animal crackers and gumdrops from her.  I would always bite the heads off the crackers and give the bodies to my dad.  For some reason, I never ate the bodies. 

The animal crackers were great, but my favorite part was always the candy jar sitting on the counter.  Overlaid with near see-through prints of some of her favorite spots in New Orleans, the town where she grew up.  My grandmother, her daughter, inherited it when she died.  Since I was five, I always begged her for it.  Put me in your will, I said.  Leave me the candy jar.

She would chuckle, and say, it’s yours, of course.  I never believed it would happen.  I thought that she would keep it forever, and I wouldn’t get it until maybe even my dad died.   Then it happened.

I reached into the box that I had just unwrapped and felt something.  It was round and covered in bubble wrap.  I didn’t believe.  I didn’t want to believe.  I didn’t want to believe and then get crushed once again.  I refused to let myself hope as I tore away the bubble wrap…

It was truly there!  The candy jar felt so right in my hands like it belonged there all along.  As I traced the designs of the overlay, I couldn’t help but smile.  It’s perfect, I said.  I wanted to cry. 

We may have sold a lot of her things.  Her childhood home, her clothes, her house.  But this candy jar is mine- and it is most definitely not for sale.

This piece was inspired by the prompt: "...Write a description of something that is very precious, but also priceless.  You could describe an object that is meaningful to you, or you could write about something more abstract.  Be sure to appeal to the senses and provide rich description.  Your reader should understand why your chosen object is priceless after reading your paragraphs."

Most of my personal stories and poems are inspired by my great-grandmother who passed away when I was five.  She and I are very much alike.  This is about her candy jar that I used to love and is now mine.