The Aesthetic Bibliorectsatraction | Teen Ink

The Aesthetic Bibliorectsatraction

By therivendellmusician BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
therivendellmusician BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey

"Legacy. What is legacy? It's planting seeds in a garden you never get to see." -Hamilton

Since the beginning of mankind, inventions have shaped the society, and they allowed it to gradually become how advanced it is today. Inventions have been created for almost everything imaginable, yet the small issues are the ones that lack a proper physical solution. I was tasked with creating an invention never seen before by humankind that would improve the way of life for all humanity.

After pondering on the state of society, I decided to work out a solution to one of the small, overlooked problems everyone faces at one time or another. As I scanned the room I was brainstorming in, my eyes fell on the bookshelf by the wall and found the perfect issue to address. Books on bookshelves are always vulnerable to falling over, and it becomes fatiguing for one to attempt to straighten the books after taking a book, or two, out.

Hence, the invention I would devise would be a small contraption that would help to straighten books on bookcases. It is called the
“AESTHETIC BIBLIORECTSATRACTION”
/as•the•tik bib•l?•?•rek•s?•chrak•sh?n/ ,
and the breakdown is as follows:

Aesthetic = Sense perception
Biblio = Book
Rect = Straight
Sa = Stand
Tract = To drag or pull
-Tion = State or quality of

The aesthetic bibliorectsatraction is exceptionally lightweight. It is fairly simple to assemble and is moderately priced, only because of the expense of the miniature motion detectors on the contraption. Its metallic parts are made of “High Specific Strength Steel,” which is both stronger and lighter than regular steel and most other metals. Flexible--but sturdy--wire rope is used to help push the books close together, and the motion detectors are placed between the end of the rope and the metallic “pushers” in order for the contraption to recognize where and how the books should be straightened in relation to the bookcase and other books.

The contraption is in no way tedious to assemble, as one only is required to drill two holes into the side of a bookshelf, the distance between them depending on the height of the shelf and the size of the apparatus purchased. The machine should fit snugly into the side of the shelf if the holes are drilled precisely, and two nails (or screws) should bolt the contraption in place. Once it is in place and activated, the contraption will proceed to tidy up the bookshelf as necessary.

First, the motion detectors create a map of the books and the bookshelf in its tiny system and calculates the (mathematical) transformation, distance and angle-wise, to be performed on each book. Then, the wire ropes and the metallic “pushers” are released and proceed to straighten the books. It starts with the books the farthest away then works its way closer. Therefore, the contraption may knock down any books in the way in order to stand the farther books upright, but it will drag the fallen books to a more suitable position once it comes to the book’s “turn.” Once it has finished its work, the wire ropes will slowly draw back and automatically deactivate.

The aesthetic bibliorectsatraction runs on solar energy and has hidden solar panels all over the metal, though they are so miniscule that most would not notice. Its release to the public is to be made at local stores that sell electronic devices, such as Costco, Best Buy, and Barnes and Noble, and will be sold starting at $39.99--without shipping and handling fees.

Without inventions, the society would not be as advanced as it is today. However, some small problems have been unaddressed, such as the universal issue of organization. As I pondered upon these overlooked issues, my eyes hit a bookshelf on the side of the room. I recalled the struggles I had experienced with unkempt bookcases and thought of a proper solution: the aesthetic bibliorectsatraction. It pushes books together and organizes them and uses motion detectors to locate and map out their location on the bookcase. With this contraption, organization and searching for books would be made much easier!

Anyone can make the world a better place. In 7th Grade, I was tasked with creating an invention that would improve people's lives, so I created the aesthetic bibliorectsatraction, a contraption that helps to straighten books. Although it may seem unimportant, everyone comes across the universal issue of organization, and a simple contraption can solve such a problem.