Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Can You Hear Me? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Tabitha-Mariah, Ossipee, NH

The crowded hallway was swarming with voices, all uniting into one loud hum. Entangled in the roar was the sound of lockers opening and closing and, every once in a while, a teacher yelling over the clamor. I was standing in front of my locker, taking another look at my new schedule for the second semester. I have a bad memory for schedules. The lighting wasn't nearly bright enough. I strained to see the words, my own shadow blocking most of the light.

Is she just going to stand there all day? An irritated voice rang through my head. I looked over my shoulder. Ashley Garland was standing behind me, eyes glowering behind mascara-coated lashes, recently glossed lips parted slightly in an impatient scowl. She was waiting to get into the locker next to mine.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

16 comment(s)
Beila
Aww, you have me in tears. You have so perfectly described that disgusting, all too common experience of feeling that everyone is judging you, and then so wonderfully created her knight in shining armor. :) Your imagery, flow, and voice are exquisite. I definitely want to read more! By the way, this is a fantastic concept for a story!
Mar. 01, 2015 at 12:12 AM • Report
JRaye
This is WONDERFUL! It's been so long since I've read a really good short story on Teenink - this is phenomenal. The fact that she can only here thoughts about her is pretty unique, but what really sold it was the set-up in the beginning. You eased us into her super ability and I LOVE that! Great story, really great :):):)
Feb. 28, 2015 at 12:51 PM • Report
Ray--yo
And I'm here thinking what if Ryan is Ryan M. from 'All I Need Is A Friend' poem? ....
Feb. 27, 2015 at 7:51 PM • Report
Made_Of_Greed
I totally love this!! You should write a sequel. It's AMAZING!!!!!
Nov. 22, 2014 at 10:22 PM • Report
moderndayEmilyDickinson
If you are still continuing this, do continue it, please. This is amazing, it's like my favorite now. I can connect to this in some way. This is just amazing. Thank you for sharing this.
Aug. 06, 2014 at 2:54 PM • Report
love_writing
Amazing!  I really want to read the rest!!!!
Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:08 PM • Report
bookmouse
That was awesome! I want to read the rest!
Jul. 04, 2013 at 10:04 AM • Report
itsjustmeHannah
This is so great! i realy liked it, i especially didnt think that you were going to include any romance so i was pleasently surprised. i really loved the chemistry between Anna and Ryan! also your writing flows very nicely and i would love to read more of this! keep writing it! good job!
Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM • Report
Tasalyn
This is amazing!! I've always wanted to read minds and now it seems like I'm better off not. This is great work :) keep writing
Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:29 PM • Report
farah9723
thats beautifulll ........... continueeeee itt :P
Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM • Report
Close