Blast Off | Teen Ink

Blast Off

By maclay17 GOLD, Goodyear, Arizona
maclay17 GOLD, Goodyear, Arizona
15 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today." - Malcom X

Will Rogers once said, “If you want to be successful, it’s just this simple. Know what you are doing. Love what you are doing. And believe in what you are doing.” About three years ago, I read a book that I had recently checked out at the library. It was called All the Light We Cannot See written by Anthony Doerr. The novel takes place in France during World War II and is centralized around the life of a blind French girl named Marie-Laure LeBlanc and an eighteen-year-old German boy named Werner Pfennig. Reading this story about determination and destiny led to a turning point in my life. Throughout the war, both Marie and Werner feel they have no control over their lives. However, after the two characters meet and realize how alike they are, they become stronger and begin to take control of themselves. As I was reading this, I felt I should take action in my own life and the first step in doing that would be to find something that I am interested in. After searching for about a week with no luck, I happened to walk in on my mother watching the T.V. show Scrubs. Intrigued, I sat down next to her and began to watch. When the episode finished, I realized I had found what I had been seeking the entire time. I had not just been looking for a hobby or interest, I had been looking for a purpose to strive for and I had found it. My peculiar love for examining “owies,” and rewatching the Magic School Bus episode in which they travel inside Arnold’s body, finally made sense. My rocket full of passion finally lifted off and soared into the space of infinite possibilities. The ACE Program would guarantee that that rocket would land on my moon. It would mean a “ripping off the band-aid” fresh start from battling a physically abusive father, sexually abusive grandfather, drug abusive mother, and living without a home of my own over these last three years. This chance will further prepare me for my future career as an ob/gyn and possible neonatal surgeon. I have conquered so much, and with this opportunity, I believe I will conquer even more.

Learner said...
on Jan. 20 2018 at 5:30 am
Learner, Vancouver, Columbia

“There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.” ~Christopher Morley

You are right that a person should adopt a career for which he have a lot of passion its not easy to find your talent but once you find it then you will succeed. I like your thoughts. Good work