Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Mars This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Julia S., Golden, CO

How much did it cost to assemble Spirit and Opportunity? I’ll tell you: $800 million. That’s a big hunk of money that could resolve problems like health care, schools, the effects of natural disasters, and tax increases. Not only is there one, but two remote-control cars on an area where humans don’t even exist. Why does $800 million need to be there if humans aren’t? Scientists want to know if life ever existed on Mars. It’s like attempting to dig up a bug that might have been buried years ago. If scientists want to find out simply because of curiosity, then they should use their own money. Even if there were, or are, life forms there, do you think they would help us or repay the millions spent to find them?

Now, this mission would be somewhat understandable if a Mars Rover lasted a lifetime or cruised all over the planet, but the Mars Rovers were expected to “live” only three months and travel just 30 feet a week!

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

2 comment(s)
I disagree with this. I know your deep concerns are the people in need, but I don't think you realize the need, too, of space exploration. And scientists just don't wanna find out if life's ever possible in Mars simply because of curiosity, they think of its possible benefits too, for the future. If life in Mars had been proven, think of the change it would make not only in Astronomy and science's history but in the whole wide world.  So to conclude this, I think you need to realize more of space exploration. Plus, 800 million isn't that much, compare it to war expenditure. (c. AaronLawrence) Obama has spent billion dollars for US drones for use in war in the Middle East. Thousands of innocent lives are getting killed by it. The amount of money that USA spends for war which just increases the number of people in need is way much bigger than the amount spent on Mars or space exploration which doesn't cause much harm and might even be a benefit for future and scientific advancement.
Oct. 02, 2014 at 11:53 AM • Report
Uh, A_Fate_Unknown... "true" Christians don't nessesarily have to abandon science; in fact, the Bible says to test everything, and many of the great scientists were Christians! But I do agree that it is wrong for us to spend so much money when people are in need.
Oct. 01, 2013 at 6:01 PM • Report