A Fractured Dream | Teen Ink

A Fractured Dream

By Angel44 SILVER, Mesa, Arizona
Angel44 SILVER, Mesa, Arizona

I was only 12 years of age, yet I had been playing club softball for almost two years. I had spent this entire time doing all I could to get better at the game I had a passion for.

I was a pitcher. Six days a week, two hours a day, I was on the field throwing pitch after pitch, increasing my speed and accuracy. Such hard work for two years had brought me to the top of the team and I was the ace pitcher. Every important game depending upon me, I was the team's rock. The weight was on my shoulders.

Pitching four games out of six in a weekend, I began to hurt. The end of every game would bring soreness and aches to my throwing elbow. With each game the pain increased, getting worse and worse. Doctor appointment after doctor appointment, nothing was discovered. I was now in constant pain.

Finally news prevailed. A stress fracture. My dream had been crushed. I would warm the bench for nearly 9 months. I would miss the tournaments in Utah and Oklahoma. I would miss the sport I love. My hard work had gone down the toilet. Hard work for nothing. My dream had been fractured.

This is a true story.

Angel44 SILVER said...
Angel44 SILVER, Mesa, Arizona
It's hard to stay positive like that. I had surgery in June and I'm still going through physical therapy. I may not be able to pitch again. Even playing 3rd base is questionable.

FlyleafFreak DIAMOND, Loveland, Colorado

"I have faith in fools;self confidence my friends call it"~Edger Allan Poe
"In this world of infinite insanity, your friends are the best psychiatrists you will ever have."~Me

Well, your hard work wasn't all for nothing. Reemeber once that heals, you can start pitching again, you just have to really watch how much you pitch. Those nine months may feel like the longest in your life but when they are over, you'll hardly ever remeber them

Angel44 SILVER said...
on Apr. 20 2009 at 2:40 am
Angel44 SILVER, Mesa, Arizona
It's sorta funny that you said that because I just recently played in a tournament and it's bothering me again! Ugh I hope it's nothing serious.

I think the farthest I've traveled with club is Oklahoma and I'm in AZ.

on Apr. 18 2009 at 2:04 am
lovetowrite22 SILVER, ..., Colorado

"Everything happens for a reason."

i'm sorry about what happened to you! =( i hope everything's better now! =D nice story!

i play competitive travel softball too! i love it its

like my fav sport! lol =)