Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Modern-Day Shakespeare...Maybe This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By Sara B, Woodcliff Lake, NJ

I should have been born with my fingers permanently glued to a keyboard. From the age of five, I’ve known that I want to be a professional writer: a journalist, a novelist, a modern-day Shakespeare, maybe. Okay, not Shakespeare. Will used to give me terrible headaches back in my freshman year as I tried to figure out what he was talking about in A Midsummer Night’s Dream and The Tragedy of Julius Caesar. Macbeth in my sophomore year was much easier to understand.
Regardless, I’m practically addicted to books, whether I’m reading or writing them. I can’t go a single day without writing something – a short story, a novel chapter, an article – and if I do, I feel a tingling in my fingers, an itch that won’t go away until I sit in front of a computer or pick up a well-sharpened pencil and just let my thoughts out.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

3 comment(s)
Bones96
  This isn't bad and I can relate to the passion for writing. I have read some of your other work and you defiantly have talent. I also have some criticism. J.K. Rowling is a very good author and is a good role model (as well a Shakespeare.) But is it the fame you want or the level of skill? Rowling's fame and Stephanie Myers's is pretty rare most authors don't make that kind of money or get that famous. There is also a line between being proud of your work and boasting. I'm telling you this because it's good to be confident and proud of your work but if you come off as boastful people are less likely to want to read your writing. I think that's is something to keep in mind with publishers. This article for example makes you come off as arrogant and conceited. So my advice would be to keep writing and practice also every writer has their own voice. No body's writing will sound quite the same as someone else. It's good even healthy to have goals no matter how big or small. But it's good to remember not to get lost in them.
Nov. 04, 2012 at 9:28 PM • Report
JoshuaChen
J.K Rowling isn't that great of an author. There are talented writers, and then there are talented marketers, and then there are just lucky donkey holes. The fact that Eragon became a best seller proves that good sales =/= good writing.
Nov. 04, 2012 at 9:09 AM • Report
JoshuaChen
Thank God. There're people on this site who know how to say things other than "I love this!" and "This is amazing!"
Nov. 04, 2012 at 9:03 AM • Report
Close