Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Who Am I? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Julia R., Mt. Carmel, IL

I like reading The Economist and watching "I love the 80s." I like tennis, Fazoli's breadsticks and writing assignments. I value honesty, commitment, scholarship and kindness. These are hard and true facts, but there is a lot I do not know about myself. I don't know how I feel about the death penalty, I have mixed feelings about religion, and I don't know what I think about a cashless society. I have no stock answer to offer about a life-changing experience or a moment of enlightenment, and it is hard for me to give a comprehensive proclamation of who I am, for my identity unfolds more every day as my experiences grow. Since I am only 17 years old, life has a lot of unfolding to do.

I dislike saying "I am trying to find myself" because my identity is not lost, it just needs more uncovering.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

4 comment(s)
Lilianaacuna
I am currently applying for colleges, so I understand how much thought you have to think about these questions, that I can't even answer myself.
Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:16 PM • Report
Ali L.
You asked who you are but in my veiw, actually you know very well about yourself.  Meanwhile, I agree that you are lucky for at least you have your hobby and you are sure of that. Poor the guys including me who do know what they really like.
Jul. 09, 2014 at 11:16 PM • Report
Deej6595
This is a good essay. I feel the same way you do and so do most teens so, it is good that you are writing this down for others to see.
Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:11 PM • Report
Deej6595
I actually think it is better to start off your college essay like this. It's more personal than a mundane school format. I want to write my esssay like this, so thanks for the reassurement.
Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:34 PM • Report
Close