Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

I Love My Mom This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Ilove my mom. But it would hard to deny that I have been somewhat relieved tohave 2,000 miles between us since she moved back to Mississippi.

My motheris the bipolar product of an anxious Japanese woman and a stereotypical Southernman. Raised in the South, she was a teenage hippie, minus the politics and plus acountry-club membership. She and my dad (the product of a talented salesman andan immaculate housewife) moved from Mississippi to Hollywood in the '70s so hecould become a professional musician.

In sixth grade, my dad announcedtheir separation and divorce. It wasn't especially surprising, but I cried, andthen thought that living in two places might be fun. So, in seventh grade, everyweekend I'd either pack to go to my mom's apartment, or pack to return to mydad's - "our," he'd insist - three-bedroom Craftsman.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

1 comment(s)
DifferentTeen
I agree her spacing on many words was quite distracting -- but I don't think that was intentional -- and that a lot of the dialogue was unnecessary. Other than that though, it was a pretty interesting read. With some editing I'm sure it would be much better! Keep writing!
Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM • Report
Close