Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Strength My Mother Gave Me This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

By Anonymous, strongsville, OH

I glance around at everyone confidently breezing through the handout, so sure of their answers. I complete the first portion with ease, filling out my extra-curricular activities and grades in prerequisite courses. “Question 3: Is there anything I should know about you?” My brain is overwhelmed with thousands of things that I do not attempt to fit on the pair of lines allotted for my answer. I routinely strike out the portion labeled “Mother's Information” and squeeze “grandmother” in the margin.

I rush through the remainder of my personal information sheet, and estimate a few minutes of quality daydreaming. I open a book to appear to be reading, allowing my mind to drift far beyond the boundaries of my cold and quiet classroom. Time rewinds and I am transported to a familiar setting.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

1 comment(s)
Erin K.
i really liked this article because i can relate to what happened and how your mom was addicted my uncle mark was the same way and is still like that. But mine didnt die so im so sorry for your lost and im happy that you became a stronger person and the story really touched me. i also hope that your doing okay .
Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM • Report
Close