Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Your Brush With Life    (Continued)

Page 2 of 10

He valued this machine not for its antiquity, but for its purpose. And this machine's purpose, he knew, was to love. Its sole purpose, he had yet to know, was to love you.

Your father wrote novels. More importantly, he innovated novels. That was what he thought, at least, and just thinking it was enough to give him minimal fulfillment. Through cheap ink he provided a gateway to his wealthy understanding of freedom, eternal happiness, and other fictitious and empty distortions of life, whose grounds no accomplished writer in history has ever touched. He wrote countless pages of optimism that left his and everyone's world, before you, unchanged. This was how your father came to be the most pitiful sight that the literate world had ever seen, because he puzzled no one, and everyone puzzled him.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

8 comment(s)
JRaye
I CAN'T HANDLE HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS! I could tell you how many tears I held back reaching the end, but I'm just going to say THIS IS SO ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! Was this a quote by a real unknown person, or something you made you? God, it's absolute perfection...You're awesome!
Sep. 24, 2014 at 5:46 PM • Report
theblondechick
This was wonderful! I loved the line about going to fireplace and lying you to rest. Wonderful wonderful wonderful. You made me care about someone that was only alive for two minutes!
Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM • Report
AudreyI
I have to say that this is my favorite piece I've read on here so far. It's moving, it's well-written, it's unique..... "If a writer falls in love with you, you can never die." That is now one of my favorite quotes; it's so simple, yet so true. I really, really did love this piece. It's going to stick with me for a while.
Dec. 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM • Report
dragonsandthree
This is one of, if the, most incredible things that I have ever read.
Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:15 AM • Report
Skyset
This smashed my heart all up in pieces. I had to fight tears when I got to the end! A truly beautiful piece of writing.
Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:21 PM • Report
ClaireM.
You have an incredible writing style.  It's so expressive, so solid and aware and truthful.  I almost never cry at reading a story, but this touched me at a deep, deep level and I can't get enough of it.  I love everything; the title, the descriptions, the idea, the energy.  Thank you.
Feb. 02, 2013 at 1:18 PM • Report
Atropos
Amazing story! I actually got chills at the end, it was so touching. Amazing! :)
Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:55 PM • Report
In_Love_with_Writing
Nice. I liked the quote at the beginning and the way it carried the story. Very nice job on this :) Can you comment and rate some of my work?
Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM • Report
Close