Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Area 1    (Continued)

Page 2 of 11

Those who were old enough to remember still spoke of the Inbred Plague with fear in their eyes. Things were better now. If you were fit, you were shipped to other Areas of the Nation to work and eventually raise a family.

Our families weren't told where we were going. We weren't even told where we were going. My last glimpse of home had vanished when I was put on the plane with two other kids from Area 331. Our Area never had a lot of people who qualified for Distribution. Most blamed the fallout left over from the atomic bomb strikes. Some blamed bad luck. Either way, most young people were kept in the village for manual labor and forbidden to marry and pass on their bad genes.

I almost hadn't passed the Distribution assessment, or so my mother heard.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

6 comment(s)
More please? i love this concept and your characters. Well done!
May. 08, 2014 at 3:03 PM • Report
Please make a sequel, this story is awesome!!
Feb. 17, 2014 at 12:47 PM • Report
great job! you created a whole world in a couple of pages. would have appreciated a paragraph about Area 1 so I could understanded the significance of their ending up there. keep up the good work!
Sep. 05, 2013 at 2:46 PM • Report
i read tis in the print magazine, lost my copy, and came on here and reread it - five times!  Great story...  Can't wait to see a sequel if you make one!
Dec. 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM • Report
I really loved the plot of this story, it was well structured and amazingly written. After finishing the last sentence and sitting a moment to take it all in I found my self craving more. I would love to know what happens next and definetly want to see this published. Great work and keep writing!!
Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM • Report
Oh, man! You totally left me hanging! This was well written and kept me wondering what would happen next. My only complaint was that it ended. :) 5-5 stars
Dec. 04, 2012 at 4:57 PM • Report