Subscribe   Submit Work   Log In

Perfect    (Continued)

“Morning, Mom,” I call.

“Morning, baby,” she chirps. “Did you sleep well?”

“Better than I have been.”

She sighs, and her eyes look a hundred years old for a minute. “Any improvement is good,” she says half-heartedly.

“Of course.”

“I made waffles.” Her offering.

“Thanks, Mom. Smells delicious.” My offering.

I sit at the table and she hands me a plate. The thought of all that food turns my stomach, but I force a smile and thank my mother again.

Page 2 of 6

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

125 comment(s)
Would love if this was the start of a teenage book i would read it!
Sep. 15, 2016 at 6:47 PM • Report
Really great job with this! It reads well and the writing is beautiful.
Jun. 30, 2016 at 10:51 PM • Report
This is so good and so sad at the same time :(
Jun. 30, 2016 at 2:16 PM • Report
I thought the opening paragraphs were fantastic, but I lost the feeling a little when it got to the dialogue, it didn't seem as natural as it could have. Despite that, it was really great! Keep writing, for sure
Jun. 09, 2016 at 1:07 PM • Report
Kelsey while I was reading this piece I had so many emotions. It's beautiful but sad all at the same time. I have to be honest I cried a little after reading this sad tears but also tears of joy in a way. PLease keep writing you have talent. You can do and be anything you want to be
May. 30, 2016 at 10:53 AM • Report
this is amazing i love this story so much
May. 23, 2016 at 3:38 PM • Report
I love the way the dry syntax and minimalistic diction reflects the weariness of the character. Fantastic work!
May. 10, 2016 at 10:17 AM • Report
What a powerful, sad, yet beautiful story. Extraordinary piece about the struggle to be perfect, and the way that having such expectations can destroy you. Very, very well done.
May. 07, 2016 at 3:53 PM • Report
Great job! You are an extraordinary writer and had me interested at the first sentence.
Apr. 27, 2016 at 7:56 AM • Report
Great job writing this story! You have a lot of talent as a writer! It was very emotional and touching.
Apr. 27, 2016 at 7:44 AM • Report