Subscribe   Submit Work   Log In

Turner Syndrome This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Oelania P, Brooklyn, NY

Anyone looking at me would see a normal 17-year-old girl with blond hair and blue eyes. Those taking a closer look would recognize that I barely reach 5'2". What my physical appearance does not reveal is that I have Turner syndrome, but then, most people don’t have the faintest idea what that is. Turner syndrome is a chromosomal condition that occurs in women and involves complete or partial absence of the second x chromosome. While I may not be one in a million, I am one in 2,000. Short stature is one of the most common characteristics associated with the syndrome, but serious heart and kidney problems and even hearing loss can occur.

When I was diagnosed at 12, my whole life began to make more sense. I never understood why when the rest of my classmates were growing like weeds, I remained a seed stuck in the ground.

Page 1 of 3

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

6 comment(s)
Nicole
Great attitude towards having TS I also have TS myself..but I was wondering how do you cope with the infertility aspect? I am having a hard time dealing with this.
Jan. 11, 2016 at 2:16 AM • Report
nicole
Thanks for sharing that.. you have a good attitude I have TS myself..and I was wondering how do you cope with the infertility aspect?
Jan. 06, 2016 at 7:43 AM • Report
chantel
I am 12 and someone thoght i was 7 your not alone just keep on moving and things will get beter
Feb. 24, 2015 at 3:09 PM • Report
NoUser
i am 14, in 9th grade, and i'm 5'. You're not the only one.
Dec. 11, 2013 at 2:39 PM • Report
BelieberBlaze
FANTASTIC!!!!
Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:45 PM • Report
Sonza
this IS the attitude everyone should have - face all odds bravely. one might fail but the satisfaction n confidence one gains is worth it. KEEP MOVING UP!!
Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM • Report
Close