Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Burn, Consume, Destroy    (Continued)

Page 2 of 2

The sky is clear blue, and the only clouds are fluffy and white, like cotton balls. Several cows loiter in a yellow-brown field, chewing dead grass nonchalantly. They show no sign of witnessing the a horrifying event. Birds chirp happily in their nests, insects buzz along, all unaware of the raging monster chanting, “Burn. Consume. Burn. Destroy.”

The scene still haunts me. How can the rest of the world be so ignorant of this tragedy, of the houses destroyed, the homes abandoned, the beauty of nature reduced to ashes, the courageous men and women fighting the flames so valiantly? Or, more importantly, the lives that have been lost?

Maybe things won't change. But even if most remain unconcerned about the wildfires burning up our country, I am one person who has been affected by three whispered words: Burn, Consume, Destroy.

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

3 comment(s)
In_Love_with_Writing
I liked it a lot. Can you comment and rate some of my work?
Jan. 06, 2013 at 9:29 PM • Report
Imaginedangerous
I live in Utah, and this is such a true article. Most of the state was on fire last summer. Wildfires are awe-inspiring and sometimes beautiful, but they can also be terrifying. Out of curiosity, which fire is this based on? Where was it?
Jan. 04, 2013 at 6:20 PM • Report
guardianofthestars
It liked this.  I know what it is like to watch a fire at in it's rage so I could really relate to your writing.
Dec. 04, 2012 at 4:33 PM • Report
Close