Subscribe   Submit Work   Log In

Being Muslim This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By writingrocks, Brooklyn, NY

People are afraid of me.

Why are they afraid of me, you might ask? A rare disease? Hideous scars? Vile breath? I reply, with a smile on my face, that it puzzled me at first, too. But now I know. People think worse about me than that. Much worse. But I've learned. And I know that it isn't me. They're just scared of differences.

You know, I do have the freedom of religion. Created by of two clauses, granted by the First Amendment that says the government can't trump one religion over another. Equality, right? Okay, I guess most people get that. Or do they?

Well, the second clause allows people do whatever are the requirements of their religion. I would think most people got that, too, until terrorists from halfway across the world planned these horrible attacks that threw Americans into fear.

Page 1 of 6

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

68 comment(s)
As a young Muslim, I'd like to thank you for writing this beautiful and accurate piece. My parents have discouraged me from wearing hijab and speaking out about Islam. However, I will never be ashamed of my religious identity because I believe in the goodness of people and the truth about this very peaceful but misinterpreted religion. I love how you incorporated humor into your article as well :) I submitted an article about Muslims to TeenInk but am still waiting on its approval. I think TeenInk is a safe place to contribute our thoughts and sentiments to the world. Please look out for my story! I may attach the link here later for your reference. With love, Hiba from Missouri aka your Islamic sister
Dec. 15, 2015 at 1:03 PM • Report
I have no problem with Muslims. You are right, everyone has a right to the religion that they choose. But, when they try to kill me, that's when there is a problem. I, personally, do not put all Muslims in a box. I do not think that every Muslim that I pass on the streets is going to kill me. And, I respect you for writing this article. This probably took a lot of guts.
Nov. 20, 2015 at 11:15 PM • Report
when i had that full long dress and hijaab on for my grandmas funeral, because it was a predominately english area, people shouted out terrorist as a joke and others actually thought i had a bomb. i hate this
Oct. 30, 2015 at 5:46 AM • Report
I am a Muslim, too. I know from where you come! I recently started wearing a Hijab and everyone around me made so many assumptions about my head-scarf that it was overwhelming. A liberal nation and a prejudice free nation is fiction according to me. In all honestly I am still viewed as some "vile disease" as you said just because of a Hijab. They don't want to listen, they don't want to talk, they don't want to understand. Just go ahead and make assumptions! A very well written piece! I was looking for something like this for a while now, to find someone who shares my views, you see?
Jun. 09, 2014 at 3:56 AM • Report
This is a very well made piece and sends a strong message. I enjoyed reading this. And also, with the whole discrimination, it's because most muslims are not terrorists, but most terrorists are muslim.
Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM • Report
I'm a Muslim and I'm from Bangladesh too and I totally get what you are trying to say here. And I'm glad that this piece got printed in the magazine because apparently nobody really knows the difference between being religious and being a murderer.
May. 24, 2013 at 3:11 AM • Report
Yes, exactly my point! It just irritates me so much when people put labels on everything.
May. 24, 2013 at 6:10 PM • Report
I love your extremely positive tone. I hope there are many more individuals out there who share your same view!
May. 24, 2013 at 6:09 PM • Report
Really really well written! It's so true - when it comes down to it, we're all split up because of our differences. Beliefs, race, appearance...real messed up. Awesome job, keep it up! :)
May. 21, 2013 at 7:14 PM • Report
That is so true! Thanks for the feedback!
May. 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM • Report