Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Being Muslim This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By writingrocks, Brooklyn, NY

People are afraid of me.

Why are they afraid of me, you might ask? A rare disease? Hideous scars? Vile breath? I reply, with a smile on my face, that it puzzled me at first, too. But now I know. People think worse about me than that. Much worse. But I've learned. And I know that it isn't me. They're just scared of differences.

You know, I do have the freedom of religion. Created by of two clauses, granted by the First Amendment that says the government can't trump one religion over another. Equality, right? Okay, I guess most people get that. Or do they?

Well, the second clause allows people do whatever are the requirements of their religion. I would think most people got that, too, until terrorists from halfway across the world planned these horrible attacks that threw Americans into fear.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

65 comment(s)
I am a Muslim, too. I know from where you come! I recently started wearing a Hijab and everyone around me made so many assumptions about my head-scarf that it was overwhelming. A liberal nation and a prejudice free nation is fiction according to me. In all honestly I am still viewed as some "vile disease" as you said just because of a Hijab. They don't want to listen, they don't want to talk, they don't want to understand. Just go ahead and make assumptions! A very well written piece! I was looking for something like this for a while now, to find someone who shares my views, you see?
Jun. 09, 2014 at 3:56 AM • Report
This is a very well made piece and sends a strong message. I enjoyed reading this. And also, with the whole discrimination, it's because most muslims are not terrorists, but most terrorists are muslim.
Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM • Report
I'm a Muslim and I'm from Bangladesh too and I totally get what you are trying to say here. And I'm glad that this piece got printed in the magazine because apparently nobody really knows the difference between being religious and being a murderer.
May. 24, 2013 at 3:11 AM • Report
Yes, exactly my point! It just irritates me so much when people put labels on everything.
May. 24, 2013 at 6:10 PM • Report
I love your extremely positive tone. I hope there are many more individuals out there who share your same view!
May. 24, 2013 at 6:09 PM • Report
Really really well written! It's so true - when it comes down to it, we're all split up because of our differences. Beliefs, race, appearance...real messed up. Awesome job, keep it up! :)
May. 21, 2013 at 7:14 PM • Report
That is so true! Thanks for the feedback!
May. 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM • Report
i luv this one i read it in the TI magazine :)
May. 21, 2013 at 4:08 PM • Report
Thanks so much for actually coming online to post a comment! Most people just read things and move on. Thanks again!
May. 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM • Report
Thank you so much! I hope that many, many other people out in this world share the same outlook on life as you do.
May. 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM • Report