Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

How to Write a Poem    (Continued)

Page 2 of 3

What validated for her how to write a good poem? And how did she express these ideas so perfectly? If this piece is an example of how to write something amazing, then it seems pretty impossible. But Isabella made it feel possible.

Even though this piece is technically a how-to, it's still incredibly powerful and absorbing if you're a writer. After reading this (or during, actually), I decided to get a proper notebook and pen. I haven't written anything in pencil since (thank you, Step 1!). I thought one of the most inspiring parts was Step 5: “Just keep pouring out your heart and soul. Tear apart your inner thoughts, make them into fantasies, throw some lyrical power words in there, and you've got yourself a lovely poem.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

2 comment(s)
WriterHead
just keep practicing!!!!!!! i didn't know how to write a poem until i was in 8th grade; i really thank my language arts teacher because she made my class and i write until our fingers fell off, lol!!!! by her doing this, it gave me confirmation that writing is what i wanted to do as a career. really nice information, loved it.
Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:23 PM • Report
alliperkins
Thank you :) My 8th grade Language teacher was like that too and that's when I realized writing was something I took very seriously, and even though I've been writing for years I still always feel like it's my first time.
Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM • Report
Close