Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Cheerleading is a Sport    (Continued)

Page 2 of 5

Like gymnasts, cheerleaders must learn to tumble. They perform standing back flips, round flip flops, and full layout twists. Cheerleaders also perform lifts and tosses. This is where the “fliers” are thrown in the air, held by “bases” in different positions that require strength and cooperation with other teammates.

Just as basketball and football have guidelines for competitive play, so does competitive cheerleading. The whole routine has to be completed in less than three minutes and 15 seconds and the cheerleaders are required to stay within a certain area.

Competitive cheerleaders’ goal is to be the best. Just like gymnasts, they are awarded points for difficulty, technique, creativity and sharpness.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

51 comment(s)
Kelce
Incredible work here. As a football fan, it makes me appreciate our cheerleaders even more.
Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:15 PM • Report
chα chα
чєαh thíѕ mαkєѕmє mαd whєn pєσplє ѕαч dαncє αnd chєєr lєαdíng íѕ nσt α ѕpσrt í chσѕє tσ dσ α ѕpєєch σn thíѕ tσpíc αnd mч clαѕѕ hαd thíѕ hugє dєвαtє σn mч ѕpєєch αnd ít tσσk líkє thє hσlє pєríσd
Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:39 AM • Report
Dakota88zxc
Okay, first off, I love this and I only had to read the title. I'm not a cheerleader, but I'm a ballerina, and it makes me want to snap someone in half when they say either of them aren't physically (or mentally) demanding. I give you props.
Apr. 09, 2015 at 1:06 AM • Report
Maryk
That is a very good argument for this issue. I think cheer leading and dance should be considered the same because they both use music and timing to create a good routine or performance.
Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:33 AM • Report
Dakota88zxc
You are 100% right haha. But actually some dancers prefer to consider dance an art rather than a sport.
Apr. 13, 2015 at 8:05 PM • Report
izzyz
I fully agree with your opinion
Mar. 23, 2015 at 3:25 AM • Report
Maryk
I'am glad you have such compassion for cheerleaders. It reminds me about how hard color guards work, and yet directors and other ignorant people call them, "the shinny thing". It is very offensive and perpetuates the same stereotypes that cheerleaders are put under. By the way have you seen the show Blast?
Mar. 04, 2015 at 9:27 AM • Report
Maryk
I really agree with you, it's the same situation with marching bands. Too much competition is hurting the creativity, choreography, and individuality of many bands and makes them single-minded and too focused on winning. Any form of art should be appreciated by the public not showed off to a bunch of judges and directors that are part of the single-minded persona that arts should be turned into sports. It cannot happen and it should not be accepted as a norm.
Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:25 AM • Report
Maryk
I disagree, but just because I disagree does not mean I'am a narcissist. I feel the same way about marching bands, that they are more of an artistic endeavor than a sport. If these forms of art become a sport then there is no choreography,creativity,and no individuality in the art form. Cheer leading is very much like the role color-guards play in marching bands or ballerinas in a ballet. Dance is a constantly changing art form but it is not a sport
Feb. 05, 2015 at 7:11 AM • Report
faithers.brown
the only problem I have with this article is that competitive cheer isn't cheerleading. it just isnt. cheerleading is leading cheers, it's in the name, and in competitive cheer they don't lead any cheers. it is however cheer and they are in fact athletes. but that aren't cheerleaders.
Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:58 AM • Report
Close