Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Cheerleading is a Sport    (Continued)

Page 2 of 5

Like gymnasts, cheerleaders must learn to tumble. They perform standing back flips, round flip flops, and full layout twists. Cheerleaders also perform lifts and tosses. This is where the “fliers” are thrown in the air, held by “bases” in different positions that require strength and cooperation with other teammates.

Just as basketball and football have guidelines for competitive play, so does competitive cheerleading. The whole routine has to be completed in less than three minutes and 15 seconds and the cheerleaders are required to stay within a certain area.

Competitive cheerleaders’ goal is to be the best. Just like gymnasts, they are awarded points for difficulty, technique, creativity and sharpness.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

56 comment(s)
LoneWolfforever
But is it actually a sport? a marching band is not a sport, dancing isn't a sport> It's an activity right ?
May. 30, 2015 at 2:31 AM • Report
Maryk
Marching Band and Cheer leading are physical forms of art just like dance and music.
May. 30, 2015 at 10:35 AM • Report
Maryk
This is a very terrible statement,cheer leaders do the same thing the color guard does in marching band and yet ignorant people like your self and arrogant band directors call them a mere distraction or shinny thing. Shame on you and your annalist!
May. 05, 2015 at 11:01 AM • Report
Kelce
Incredible work here. As a football fan, it makes me appreciate our cheerleaders even more.
Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:15 PM • Report
chα chα
чєαh thíѕ mαkєѕmє mαd whєn pєσplє ѕαч dαncє αnd chєєr lєαdíng íѕ nσt α ѕpσrt í chσѕє tσ dσ α ѕpєєch σn thíѕ tσpíc αnd mч clαѕѕ hαd thíѕ hugє dєвαtє σn mч ѕpєєch αnd ít tσσk líkє thє hσlє pєríσd
Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:39 AM • Report
Maryk
I think when you do this debate you should be more resurrect on both sides of the issue
May. 02, 2015 at 10:02 AM • Report
Dakota88zxc
Okay, first off, I love this and I only had to read the title. I'm not a cheerleader, but I'm a ballerina, and it makes me want to snap someone in half when they say either of them aren't physically (or mentally) demanding. I give you props.
Apr. 09, 2015 at 1:06 AM • Report
Maryk
That is a very good argument for this issue. I think cheer leading and dance should be considered the same because they both use music and timing to create a good routine or performance.
Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:33 AM • Report
Dakota88zxc
You are 100% right haha. But actually some dancers prefer to consider dance an art rather than a sport.
Apr. 13, 2015 at 8:05 PM • Report
Maryk
But cheer leading and dance are art forms because a lot of timing is involved in each movement. Also when cheer leaders do a routine to music and make a cheer with physical percussion (hand clapping) that right there is an element that right there is the artistic side of cheer leading.It's the same thing color-guards do in the marching band, and why in ballet hand gestures are used to communicate the characters actions from a dying swan, a captured fire bird, and even a tribal society like in The Rite of Spring. When the chosen one is found in act two the other woman push her into the center of the ring to indicate to the audience she is the chosen sacrifice. To every movement there is meaning.
Apr. 26, 2015 at 8:48 AM • Report
Close