Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Cheerleading is a Sport    (Continued)

Like gymnasts, cheerleaders must learn to tumble. They perform standing back flips, round flip flops, and full layout twists. Cheerleaders also perform lifts and tosses. This is where the “fliers” are thrown in the air, held by “bases” in different positions that require strength and cooperation with other teammates.

Just as basketball and football have guidelines for competitive play, so does competitive cheerleading. The whole routine has to be completed in less than three minutes and 15 seconds and the cheerleaders are required to stay within a certain area.

Competitive cheerleaders’ goal is to be the best. Just like gymnasts, they are awarded points for difficulty, technique, creativity and sharpness.

Page 2 of 5

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

79 comment(s)
ilovecheer3646
@sambest12498 i would like to see you preform your top dance and cheer rouyine,that has to have jumps, tumbling, and stunting,all under 2 min and thirty secs.no pressure.
May. 23, 2016 at 11:18 AM • Report
cheerleader1999
cheerleadin should be a sport football players just through a ball we work must harder they should cheer us on while we cheer copetive
Apr. 12, 2016 at 11:38 AM • Report
sambest12498
In my honest opinion, cheer leading is not a sport. Im a member of the marching band and if they cant consider that a sport, then cheer leading isnt a sport. we do as much if not more than any other sport, we go to competitons, band camp, way more than just going to a football game for half time entertainment. so if cheer leading is a so called "sport" then marching band should be one too.
Feb. 19, 2016 at 9:02 AM • Report
HES123
Cheerleading in fact IS a sport. We throw girls in the air!! We tumble our hearts out! Only cheerleaders can do that. We work SUPER hard!
Apr. 25, 2016 at 6:03 PM • Report
ilovecheer3646
right,we throw 100 lb girls in the air,football players throw a 2 lb ball,the difference?we ALWAYS catch ours.
May. 23, 2016 at 11:19 AM • Report
ilovecheer3646
oh really,well i would like to see you do half of the level one things.im a level six and i manage to keep straght A s all while doing a double twist into a full,so do us all a favor and stfu
May. 23, 2016 at 11:23 AM • Report
juliacoccaro
I agree with this article wholeheartedly. Competitive cheerleading takes a TON of work and time. I've been to several competitive cheerleading competitions, including Worlds in Disneyworld. (I'm not a cheerleader myself, I just like to watch.) But on the sidelines, I can't see how that's a sport at all. An activity, sure, but waving pom-poms and being able to yell loud doesn't quite qualify as athletic ability.
Feb. 05, 2016 at 9:49 PM • Report
CianaB
I believe cheerleading is a sport. In my opinion, an sport is anything that requires athletic ability. The definition of a sport is "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." Based on the definition, dance, marching band, and cheerleading are all sports. And no matter how much you argue, cheerleading and dance(ballet in particular) both require more athletic ability then golf.
Jan. 15, 2016 at 3:51 PM • Report
carly_crochet
I am a cheerleader, and I enjoy cheerleading. I agree that cheer is a sport because it is hard working alike other sports such as football and basketball. I also agree that most people do think it is a sport because our "only job to entertain the crowd," but we are more than just "flirts in skirts."
Nov. 05, 2015 at 9:53 AM • Report
Jotai
I'm Not taking any sides but in my own opinion, Cheerleading is not a sport. Yeah sure,you tumble and you Compete but what's the point? You don't get trophy for it. In my eyes, a sport is an activity in which you can get a trophy. I'm not cutting Cheerleading down, it does take physical skill, but it usually doesn't involve trophies or winning.
Nov. 04, 2015 at 10:58 AM • Report
Close