Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

I Killed the Car    (Continued)

Page 2 of 6

I protested that the bus had already passed, so Dad volunteered to drive me. An intense argument followed, not uncommon between us. My mother always says that my father is the second most stubborn person in the world; she also says that I am the first. As my mother is only home on weekends, this made for an interesting situation growing up. Most nights included shouting matches, the two of us hurling words back and forth with reckless abandon.

But that day I won the argument, and Dad relinquished the keys. Content, I said good-bye and walked out to the car. There was about an inch coating the roads of my neighborhood. So much for “snowy roads,” Dad, I thought sarcastically.

The Mazda's steering wheel and stick shift were cold, but the little car warmed up quickly and I pulled out.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

2 comment(s)
Beila
Too cute! :) You definitely made me laugh out loud at your predicament; your obstinacy just blazed clear through the words. The title is a fantastic eye-catcher, and that moment where, in all solemnity, you announce, "I had killed the car"--priceless! The bleached whale comparison just sent it over the edge. :) I love the humor, and good for you for learning your lesson!
Mar. 05, 2015 at 12:27 AM • Report
Fresch-kids
Great piece! And i absolutely agree that it's more important to be wise than to win an argument. thanks for sharing!
Jan. 05, 2013 at 7:07 PM • Report
Close