Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

You Are a Writer If ...    (Continued)

You read dictionaries and thesauruses like New York Times bestsellers.

You stay up all night to write an enlightening journal entry, even though you know no one will ever read a word of it.

You are a master prioritizer; you shove everything else aside to make time to write.

You have a habit of sniffing the pages of books before reading them.

With a pen and paper, you are supernatural.

You analyze the behavior of those you see on a daily basis for favorable character material.

Writing is what you do best, and you're terrible at it.

Your grocery lists are tangled with ­adjectives. “Blushing cherry tomatoes, stalwart zucchini, bread kneaded with ­passion ….

Page 2 of 9

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

28 comment(s)
gladinorsk
Soooo many good moments in there! My favorites, though, would have to be: "You narrate your life experiences...referring to yourself in the third person", "You would write with a stick in the mud if need be", and, best yet, "You're never cold; you're frigid".
Jun. 28, 2015 at 4:28 PM • Report
GillianBorromeo
There should be a "made me smile and shout yes!" and "made me nod" button on the side. I'd press it fourteen times. Good job!
Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:30 AM • Report
The_DoctorDonna
Wow you literally just described my life haha. I thought I was the only one who smelled pages (my family laughs at me all the time for that one lol)
Mar. 31, 2015 at 11:14 PM • Report
CNBono17
How loudly can I say AMEN? Except for me, I don't use a phone book for names. I use baby name websites…Everything else, about bookstores, semicolons, research, synonyms, is completely applicable; I love this!
Mar. 30, 2015 at 9:41 AM • Report
RealRiter
Wow. So perfect. Totally me. Awesome story. Great job!
Mar. 23, 2015 at 5:07 PM • Report
Beila
Yes! Thank goodness! So you mean to tell me I'm normal?! :P That thing about semicolons--too true; I will never stop being addicted to that key. :) Everything and everyone in my life is narrated, although we alternate points of view until I sometimes catch myself remembering other people's falsified thoughts to them... and then it gets awkward. ;) For the record, all of my life is in lists. I am only ever frigid, livid, or riveted... by other great writing. What a joy to read!
Mar. 09, 2015 at 2:56 AM • Report
TaylorWintry
I love this. I laugh every time I see it. So clever, and so brilliantly assembled. Definitely one of my favorites on TeenInk.
May. 27, 2014 at 12:09 PM • Report
Ray--yo
It felt like you spied my life for a few years and wrote down every single detail you saw; Readng this was an experience: I smiled, laughed, went 'Wooh" at times and got a few suspicious looks from my mom! I am very, very happily marking this a favourite.
Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:36 AM • Report
bookmouse
So true! You nailed it!
Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:52 PM • Report
ilikeearth
This actually made me LOL. When spell was misspelled I laughed out loud, really I did! I almost died of giggles at getting high off of the smell of old books and calling red crimson or scarlet. Bravo!
Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM • Report
Close