Subscribe   Submit Work   Log In

The Scarlet Letter    (Continued)

Unknown to her or her lover, her husband stands among the crowd who condemns her. Hester's husband, a cold-hearted man described as “having successfully turned himself into a fiend by taking on the office of one,” moves forward with his plan of revenge in this dramatic page-turner.

Unlike other writers who attempt to depict a time when religious and political zeal outweighed human passion and expression, Hawthorne's experiences provide the background for this novel. His story criticizes the framework of Puritan society in ways so subtle that the reader may very well miss them amidst the fast-moving plot and intriguing, dynamic characters.

Hawthorne's writing is refreshing and real.

Page 2 of 4

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

3 comment(s)
Even though I read it when I was only 12, I thought that the Scarlet Letter was about more than just intolerance and religious fervor but I was unable to decipher exactly what that something was. Now, years later, as your review pops onto my screen, I see now what I felt then. Thank you for putting into words what I've felt for quite some time!
Oct. 23, 2014 at 3:00 PM • Report
I agree. This review was very well-written, and having read "The Scarlet Letter," I can completely get your points. This is a wonderful book. I suggest reading it to any who have not.
Oct. 11, 2014 at 11:11 PM • Report
This review was gripping from the first sentence to the last, leading me with a finaI " I must read this book! "
Mar. 16, 2014 at 7:53 PM • Report