Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt    (Continued)

Page 2 of 3

As for the menfolk in the story, Lord Death is attractive in a mildly creepy way, and his son, John, is kind, caring, and likable. While Lord Death offers, well, death, John offers a life as lady of the manor. Ben, the village boy who thinks he must marry the Best Cook, is simply not too bright, but friendly enough. Since Keturah is the bravest, loveliest, and the best cook around, all vie for her affections.

This story is beautifully written, dramatic, and lyrical. I could see the dark forests and medieval villages as well as the many secondary characters. Though not funny, there were instances of dry wit and humor that made me smile.

Parts of the story were a little weird. Would choosing to go with Lord Death be a form of suicide even if you didn't technically kill yourself?

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

2 comment(s)
BelleToBe
I really love this book and  you wrote a great review! But, John is not the son of Lord Death, he is the son of Lord Temsland. 
Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:38 AM • Report
LiederMadchen
You're right. I think it's a weird editing error that occurred after I submitted the review to TeenInk, because on other sites (Amazon, etc.) where I posted it that sentence is different. Here it seems to be missing a word or two...
Oct. 08, 2013 at 6:04 AM • Report
Close