Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Ceremonials by Florence + the Machine    (Continued)

Page 2 of 4

Welch's signature wail is that of a deity calling to arms its worshippers – packed with emotion and a grandiosity not readily seen in this world. The disc is littered with layers of harp and tribal drum and nearly every song contains a full-on choir of backup, which elevates the music to spiritual status and matches with some of its intensely spiritual tracks.

Florence + the Machine primarily explores, through the lens of human relationship and existence, salvation and damnation. On the Aretha-esque “Lover to Lover” she muses, “There's no salvation for me now/No space among the clouds/And I feel I'm headed down/But that's alright.” These thoughts permeate the album.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

5 comment(s)
xelawriter97
I love Florence!!! You described their album perfectly!
Oct. 23, 2012 at 6:23 PM • Report
XOLovegood
Florence + The Machine is one of my favorite singers. She has pure talent as opposed to most artists these days.
Oct. 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM • Report
SickImage
Kiss with a Fist!
:)
Oct. 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM • Report
NickyJ
I love Florence and the Machine. She's a breath of fresh air in today's pop music (which I do not like at all). Ceremonials is one of my favorite albums and I think you did a great job with this review.

I'm looking forward to her next album.
Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:36 AM • Report
OutKast
This review is amazing. I just recently discover Florence + the Machine a couple of weeks ago on a VH1 special and you really captured the meanings of her songs in this review. :)
Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM • Report
Close