Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Brazil This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Rebekah R., Lexington, KY

I’d like to say the story ends well, that the guy gets the girl and they run off after defeating the tyrannical rule of seemingly superior technology, fused with the ignorance of those on top of the demented pyramid of authority. But in all honesty, I don’t exactly know how to characterize the ending. Or, for that matter, the rest of the movie.

By no means recent, this film, made in 1985 (and one of the earliest major successes of Terry Gilliam’s prolific directing career) would appear rather unfortunately obscure for the typical teenager.

And its obscurity is exceedingly unfortunate, since the convoluted and surreal plotline of “Brazil” is as richly textured as any great novel, weaving through its web of confusion a mixture of dark farce, observations about the state of Western culture, piteously wishful dream realities in which our reluctant hero battles mysterious giant samurai, and a nightmarish future pocked by unnecessary bloodshed and a pointedly blind eye to the perpetuating horror.

Continue Reading »

Be the first to comment on this!