Happy Halloween! | Teen Ink

Happy Halloween!

By Seobin Sohn SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
Seobin Sohn SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey

Ghosts, witches, devils, and monsters. What can you imagine? They are the customs for Halloween! In several countries, halloween or hallowe’en, also called All Hallow’s Eve, is a famous holiday, on October 31st. Do you ever see or hear what do people do on this day and why? Do you know how this has become a traditional event? Also, do you know why a pumpkin is the symbol of the Halloween day? Let’s find out more about it.

The history of Halloween begins in 1745. The word ‘Halloween’ comes a Scottish term for All Hallow’s Eve (the evening before All Hallow’s Day). Halloween originated from ‘Samhain’, the god of death, which the ancient Celts served. At that time, October 31st was the last day of a year and the Celts had their custom which was ; wearing ghost’s clothes and making houses very cold so that the spirits of the dead couldn’t enter the houses. This convention combined with Christianity’s after Rome conquered the Celts, and October 31st became the Eve of All Saints´ Day. Pope Boniface IV designated November 1st as ‘All Hallow’s day. Therefore, the night before became the current Halloween.

Next, many people know the symbols of Halloween. Pumpkins, bats, ghosts, darkness, and the occult are some of them. Black, orange and sometimes purple are the halloween’s traditional colors. Also, in order to frighten the evil spirits, masqueraders on halloween carried Jack-o'-lanterns traditionally. The turnip was used as the pumpkin in Ireland and Scotland. However, immigrants to North America used the native pumpkin, because it is much softer, easier to carry, and larger.

Thirdly, for children, Halloween trick-or-treating is a customary celebration today. They enjoy this activity. They may disguise themselves as a skeleton, a witch, Frankenstein, or whatever they want, go house-to-house and ask for treats such as candies or chocolates, asking the question ‘Trick or treat?’

To conclude, the traditions and importance of halloween change greatly among countries that observe it. This larger North American influence, particularly in iconic and commercial elements, has extended to places such as South America, Australia, New Zealand, continental Europe, and other parts of East Asia. Halloween is settling down as one famous culture. A few years ago, some people in a few countries, saw children with knitted brows because they thought it’s not a good event and people are following all other countries’ culture. However, my opinion is that we can enjoy halloween as a happy holiday, no saying it’s from us or not. I hope children can celebrate it just with joyful mind this year’s halloween.