Video Games: Innocent or Dangerous | Teen Ink

Video Games: Innocent or Dangerous

October 4, 2013
By kaleyl BRONZE, Lake St. Louis, Missouri
kaleyl BRONZE, Lake St. Louis, Missouri
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When video games were first created, no one thought that they would grow to be the complex, alternate universe that they are for many people today. Back then, one’s Pac Man getting caught by the ghost was the worst thing that can happen. Today, kids can be involved in police chases, robbery, and mass murder all without leaving their couch. Being familiarized with such adult topics is having a negative effect on the youth of America.

When playing video games, one can become immersed in another life that is usually more exciting and interesting than their own. When a child is presented with this opportunity, their young and impressionable minds soak in these themes of violence and crime and because of their lack of maturity and experience, they are unable to separate the right from the wrong. These games teach kids that crime and violence are fine as long as you don’t get caught, and even if you do, the consequences seem no where near as severe as they are in real life. In this way, the video game industry has the power to extend their influence into the minds America’s youth, and create a reckless adult.

While it is understood that the video game industry is a multi-million dollar business, this technology is not appropriate in the hands of the young and impressionable. The technology could be used for much more useful purposes than meaningless violence. Playing video games has been proven to improve one’s dexterity and hand-eye coordination. These skills are very important to surgeons who rely on their steady hand and ability to make precise movements in order to save someone’s life. Surgeons could use such impressive technology to train themselves to develop strong coordination skills that could be useful in their profession, and potentially save lives.

The technology used in video games could be put to much better use. Video game creators should begin to rethink their approach and open their eyes to the negative effects that their product is having on the generation of the young people in our country and focus instead on places where it could be put to much better use.


The author's comments:
This essay was in response to a prompt given to me by a teacher. It got me thinking about the effects of video games in todays world and in what ways could we be using the technology we have for something more positive that senseless violence.