Our Country's Eating Habits, From French Fries to Apples | Teen Ink

Our Country's Eating Habits, From French Fries to Apples

January 6, 2014
By Johanna Herman SILVER, Coral Gables, Florida
Johanna Herman SILVER, Coral Gables, Florida
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Each year at my elementary school, as a reward to all of the students at the end of the year, the school organized a special night at McDonalds. It was an exciting event for all of the students, because the Principal, Vice Principal, and many of the teachers actually worked in the kitchen and behind the counter, frying up the french fries, flipping the burgers, and taking the cash. McDonalds was so packed that parking lot was full, and the parents had to park along the street. My parents only allowed me to attend this event twice, and only after I badgered them into it, insisting that all of my friends were going, and asking how they could be so mean and unreasonable. For my friends and me, this was the ultimate, chicken nuggets, French fries, and friends on a Wednesday night. Health was the last thing any of the kids were thinking about, particularly with the school endorsing the fast food experience.

When it comes to fast food and nutrition in the United States, the unfortunate reality is that the deck is seriously stacked against our ability to eat in a way that is healthy. Fast food and unhealthy eating is deeply entrenched in our society. At this point, it is not even questionable that junk food is directly linked to obesity. The facts are that one out of every three kids are overweight, and one out of every five kids between the ages of 6 and 11 are obese. Childhood obesity has tripled over the last thirty years. These high obesity rates for kids can later lead to health issues, including heart disease and diabetes. Over 31% of teenagers are overweight or obese. It has been proven that drinking two sugary drinks a day increases the risk of type 2 diabetes by 25%. There is direct linkage between obesity and the large reliance in our society on fatty, artificially flavored junk food.

In addition to these direct correlations, there are more indirect correlations related to health and the way we eat. There are many studies relating to health and life expectancy comparing gender, ethnicity, and income. Although genetics may play a large part in these statistics, it is clear that income does as well. It is not simply having the money that makes people live longer, but instead, the fact that money brings the ability to afford better food and to get better education on the facts. Studies have shown that richer, better educated people are living longer than less wealthy and less educated people. Some of this arises from the ability and the means to obtain good health care. But there is also a somewhat obvious link between having more money and being able to not only afford healthier food, but also to get better educated on the type of food that we eat to prevent and control diseases like heart disease and diabetes. These rights should not only belong to the wealthy. All Americans are entitled to know what we are putting in our bodies.

With all of these facts, you have to question why our society doesn’t immediately put an end to its reliance on fast food, and go on an immediate and public campaign to improve the way we eat. Why not simply change the way we do things, and educate the public on how to eat nutritious and healthy food?

The answer begins with the way our governmental system operates. A large percentage of farm subsidies today go to crops that end up in junk food. In 2011, 1.28 billion in taxpayer subsidies went toward three major food additives commonly used in junk food -- corn syrup, corn starch, and soy oils. In comparison, since 1995, taxpayers spent only 637 million subsidizing apples, and far less is spent on other fresh produce. The US Public Interest Research Group transferred these numbers into dollars, and concluded that if the government had given the taxpayers this money instead of the farmers, each person would have been given $7.58 to spend on junk food, and 27 cents to spend on apples each year. The cycle continues as big corporations have received 18 billion in the last 16 years turning subsidized crops into junk food, and hundreds of millions of dollars are spent by corporations on lobbying and campaign contributions to government officials.

Of the subsidies handed out, 5 billion are in direct payments to farmers, who grow what they are paid to grow – primarily soy, corn and wheat. In fact, since 1995, most of the subsidies go to a very small number of farm operations, including 75% of subsidies going to just 3.8% of the farmers, most of whom grow the wrong kind of crops. In fact, 62 percent of farms received no federal funds at all. It has been reported that if Americans ate the recommended five servings a day of fruits and vegetables, they would find out that American agriculture would not satisfy this need. Current prices of fresh fruits, vegetables and organic products are higher, while it is cheaper to buy fast foods and soda.

Government priorities need to be modified. If the government simply shifted a small percentage of these subsidies to subsidize healthier food, it would be a good start. Likewise, much of the problem arises from the fact that the general population is not educated about this issue. Rather than making larger contributions to programs like the USDA 5-A-Day for better health campaign, promotion of the food pyramid which was started in 2005, or to provide adequate funding to the Center for Nutrition Policy & Promotion, the corporate cycle of lobbying and subsidies continues.

Most people have the initial reaction of supporting farmers, and not cutting any subsidies. But if people were really educated on the facts, these feelings might change. There are numerous ways we can change our current system, a little at a time. One is to shift some of the funding to smaller farms in order to make organics and other fresh fruits and vegetables a more affordable option for the general pubic. Farmers growing crops that are currently unsubsidized should be given a fair chance. Additionally, public education on nutrition is key, particularly in providing programs to educate the public on the types of things we are putting in our bodies. Of course, it would be highly difficult to have a completely organic diet. But it certainly would be possible to eat a diet which is higher in natural foods, fresh fruits and vegetables, cutting out soda and replacing it with water, and eliminating junk food. It is not much more expensive to make a fresh salad with greens, tomatoes, and beans, than it is to buy a supersized meal at McDonalds.

And it is equally important to educate kids on these issues. They need to be taught that the things they put in their bodies make a difference. And now, when my little sister asks to go to McDonalds night at her elementary school, I will be on the “mean and unreasonable” side. Maybe we can let her attend, but we will eat a real dinner when she gets home.

Billions In Farm Subsidies Underwrite Junk Food, Study Finds. Huffington Post.
22 September 2011. Web. 21 July 2013.

Bittman, Mark, Don’t End Agricultural Subsidies, Fix Them. New York Times 2
March 2011. Web. 21 July 2013.

United States Public Interest Group, Apples to Twinkies 2012. 25 July 2012.

Web. 22 July 2013.

United States Public Interest Group, Apples to Twinkies 2013. 15 July 2013.
Web. 22 July 2013.

United States Public Interest Group, Stop Subsidizing Obesity. 2013. Web. 22
July 2013.


The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this piece by Dr. Kristin Joos, my professor at a summer program attended last year in Gainesville called Young Entrepreneurs for Sustainability Program. Dr. Joos opened my eyes to many new issues. Nutrition is one of them.