Educator | Teen Ink

Educator

By sschaefer SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
sschaefer SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

When I think about my favorite educator, there is only one person that comes to mind. That person is Mrs. Klun. 

I first met Mrs. Klun at the beginning of my senior year of high school when I enrolled in her A.P. Microeconomics class at Arrowhead High School. Truthfully I didn’t have any interest in economics but I had heard such good things about Mrs. Klun. From the second I walked into her classroom I could tell by her sheer and utter kindness that I would really enjoy having her as a teacher.

She has this wonderful infectious laugh that can brighten anyone's day. No matter what kind of day I was having I knew that whenever I walked into her classroom for 7th period, my spirits would be lifted. 

This past November, my grandmother passed away. This was incredibly difficult for me and my family because my grandma had lived with us for over ten years. I didn’t know life without her. I remember telling Mrs. Klun, holding back tears, trying to stay strong. I could see it in her face how genuinely sorry she felt for me. When I told other teachers, they were supportive, but there was just something different about the way Mrs. Klun comforted me. 

After my grandma passed away, I missed a lot of school. Mrs. Klun told me that I could take whatever time I needed to get my work turned in, or make up tests and quizzes. She even exempted me from one of my missed quizzes because at the time I was just feeling so overwhelmed. She saw that I was struggling, and providing me with that extra time took some weight off my shoulders. I felt relieved. 

Mrs. Klun treated her students like family. She always wanted to hear about our lives at  home, our plans for the evening, and even our weekend plans. It was quite obvious from the start how much family meant to Mrs. Klun. Anytime she would mention her husband or her kids, her face would light up and you could just tell the undeniable love her and her family shared.

Finding an educator like Mrs. Klun is not easy. I believe that she was born to be an educator. Her love and passion for teaching and getting to know students is like no other. I am and will continue to be truly moved by Mrs. Klun.