Mr. Tower | Teen Ink

Mr. Tower

By carolinegwebber PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
carolinegwebber PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

On my first day of junior year at Arrowhead Union High School, I walked into Mr. Tower’s room unaware of how much my life would change. Right from the beginning, Mr. Tower was a fun and energetic person. His room was filled with happiness and you could tell he was at school not just because he had to be but because he loved it and wanted to make a difference in kids' lives. 

Even though Mr. Tower has his own quirks, like being obsessed with Harambe and wearing his tie dye “RIP Harambe” shirt or wearing his full body banana suit every chance he gets, he made an effort to try to get to know each and every one of us.

Junior Year Semester 1: I took Mr. Tower’s course called sociology only because I needed to fill more credits in my schedule. I had no interest in sociology, but I heard it was an easy class and I just wanted to pass. Whenever I was in Mr. Tower’s room I felt comfortable to be myself. Mr. Tower had created a safe space for me without even realizing it. 

One day after we had finished a quiz I started talking to Mr. Tower. I was dating another student of his, but we were going through some issues. I told Mr. Tower everything that had happened and the whole class contributed to making a pros and cons list of dating the boy I was with. Mr. Tower was engaged in the list and told me, “Caroline, you need to raise your standards.” Those words have stuck by me since. It is one thing for your parents or friends to tell you that you are better off without someone but it’s another for your favorite teacher to tell you. I broke up with the boy that night.

Senior year: Before my last year at Arrowhead I already had nine credits in social studies which exceeded the requirement of 6, yet I still took Mr. Tower’s full year course called western civilization and some other classes bringing me up to 13 social studies credits. 

I have always had trouble staying in friend groups since I deal with anxiety and depression so when second semester I had a falling out with my friends it wasn’t surprising. I was anxious to come to school and see them. I didn’t have anywhere to sit at lunch anymore. Without even thinking about it I emailed Mr. Tower on Friday, told him the situation and asked if he had a class 5th hour so if not I could come eat lunch in his room. He replied over the weekend and said he did have a class fifth hour but could ask around with other teachers to see if there was any other place I could go and said he was sorry for my situation.

I have never had a teacher truly care about me the way Mr. Tower has and for him I will be forever grateful.