Mr. Andress | Teen Ink

Mr. Andress

By MeganRut SILVER, Hartford, Wisconsin
MeganRut SILVER, Hartford, Wisconsin

Middle school: the time I learned who I wanted to become. I learned that kindness in small words have big effects when it’s need the most.
I didn’t want to take Spanish and I was doomed to struggle. The class was as confusing and stressful as being put on a new planet. I lacked the confidence to learn Spanish because it was about communication and interaction. I was embarrassed to speak my mind in class for fear of what others would think. Due to this, Spanish was my worst class. Without Spanish, I could have gone through days without saying a word.
Mr. Andress was the sixth through eighth grade Spanish teacher at my middle school. He made  games for us to learn from, he had everything planned out and tried his best to teach everyone.  We would play games, complete online activities, watch videos, and take notes. He made it his goal to get everyone involved. It was work for me to try to keep up with vocabulary and grammar. But now I appreciate his way of teaching.
To make Spanish fun and use what we learned, we went to go to a Spanish restaurant. I was exceedingly uncomfortable having to talk in Spanish, but having to talk to native Spanish speakers was unthinkable! I tried to hide in my booth, but my plan didn’t end the way I wanted. Mr. Andress sat down next to me with a wide grin. He knew. But instead of speaking to me in Spanish, he made me feel more comfortable by getting to know me. In the end, I got away with only saying a few phrases. He made that field trip one I will never forget while also encouraging me to speak a little Spanish.
One time I remember well is when I forgot to do my homework. When someone didn’t do their homework, the whole class would hear about it. I was panicking like I was dumped into the middle of the ocean. He walked around the room checking everyone’s workbook, as I watched helplessly. He came closer and closer--I winced in pain, afraid of what he would say. I was next to be checked, but to my surprise, he didn’t even look. I was stunned! Did he do it by accident or out of kindness? He didn’t do that for the others--just me. He knew I tried and didn’t forget to do my homework often. Unlike other teachers, he gave me that benefit of doubt. He gave me confidence that I could be a good student and accomplish anything. I’m forever thankful for the exemption of the embarrassment.
He was also the basketball coach and supervisor. He was more than a teacher. Literally, he was a guide. The times we talked had a lasting impact. He spoke of wisdom, kindness, and support. I saw how much he cares and supports me--and the rest of his students.
By the time I was a freshman taking Spanish--by choice--I realized he gave me not only knowledge, but also confidence. Because of Mr. Andress, Spanish was as easy as speaking English.
If I had never had him as a teacher, it would have taken me longer to realize what I was capable of. He does more than his job description and more in his students’ lives than what can be seen. Thank you, Mr. Andress, for the direction you gave me in my life.