Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By Emmah24 SILVER, Colgate, Wisconsin
Emmah24 SILVER, Colgate, Wisconsin

Sports practice, a place that most athletes dread, but something I looked forward to, because of my cheerleading coach, Coach Nichole Wearing.

Coach Nichole, focused and determined, and optimistic. In fact, her optimism shines like rays of sunshine after a dark and dreary day. Whether we were practicing for a performance for our Youth camp or practicing to become state champions, our coach had high hopes for us and did whatever possible to ensure we would do great.

Most people think that cheerleading either isn’t a sport, or that it’s too simple of a sport. Our team was criticized because people think cheerleading isn’t a sport. Little do they know, how difficult Coach Nichole pushed us to be the best we could, to show cheerleading isn’t easy.

My coach was not only supportive of her teammates on the mat, but also off. Each and every girl on the team knew that we could go to our coach for anything, literally. She is understanding and supportive, making things slip off your tongue to tell her things that might not be the easiest to talk about. She is always eager to help, and no matter what the topic is.

After a long and hard practice, coach  gave us motivational talks. She didn’t let anything get in the way of us doing the best we could do in cheerleading and in life.

Coach Nichole taught me and my teammates lessons which has pushed me towards success. I am  thankful to have had her as a coach for my time as a cheerleader during high school.