Educator | Teen Ink

Educator

By Derz1997 SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Derz1997 SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

“Hey, Haus,” he said as I showed up everyday in the spring for baseball practice from the ages of 11-13.. He called me this because I could eat more than any kid in my grade--and that name Haus has stuck. 
    I was not the best at baseball and knew it. I batted with my eyes closed because I was scared of the ball. I thought grounders were going to bounce and hit me in the mouth. I was terrified of the baseball. But my fifth and sixth grade select baseball coach impacted my life tremendously, by believing, encouraging, and teaching me what hard work is. But to many, not just me, he is more than just a coach--he is also an educator on life.
As I grew up, I became less interested in baseball. My skill level was below average and I lost interest in the sport. But it was not because of my coach. He was like Ron Roenicke without the wrinkles.
    Chris Tanke is a calm and never gets rattled type of guy. He would get on me, don't doubt that. I remember a time that I struck out and I was angry. I threw my bat at the fence and he came over and let me know he did not appreciate that. In the moment it made me very mad and frustrated that he yelled at me, but looking back on it now he was trying to teach me for the future. He was teaching me even if everything doesn't go your way you still have to have a positive attitude and carry yourself with class.
   He gave me private batting practice lessons. He hit me extra ground balls and taught me new pitches. He tried to make me the best baseball player I could be. This made me feel special. He taught me that even though I was not the best, I could strive to become better and work harder. These skills helped me become successful in academics and sports today. For example, I have maintained a 3.5 GPA in one of the hardest schools in the country. This is because of the hardworking mindset he implemented in me.
My baseball skills were lost years ago, but one thing that has not been lost is our friendship. I have been lucky enough to become best friends with his son Michael. When I go over to Michael’s house, it is a privilege to sit and chew the fat with my old coach. He asks how I am doing and what changed in my life since we last spoke.
    He always gives me confidence to continue with my crazy dream of owning a shoe store. And he never looked at me differently because I would say stupid things. He would just laugh and say, “c'mon, Haus.”
    Mr. Tanke has helped me become who I am today--a hardworking, passionate, and dedicated human being. He encouraged me to become better on the football field, a better leader, and an overall better person.
   Until the day I die, I will always remember Mr. Tanke and what impact he had on my life. He taught me more than any classroom could have and that’s the great thing about sports.
   The words “c’mon Haus” that I heard from the pitching mound will be remembered forever. I will remember that this is when I became who I wanted to be.